Chapter Sixteen ~ ...whatever-session?

Aasim's POV~

I was at a loss for words. What did she just say? Someone proposed to Taalia... I couldn't believe it. I had to find out who this guy was. But before I could ask, Taalia had left to meet him. I followed everyone to the kitchen but was far behind from everyone else. Saqib noticed and nudged me with his elbow.

"Don't worry, bro." He grinned.

"Who's worried?" I asked. But I knew who was. Me.

"This is bad. Who the firetruck does this guy think he is? Waltzing in here saying, 'oh, I wanna marry Taalia!'" Misha rambled on, saying the last part in a deep voice. I could tell she was pissed. So was I.

"Calm down, Misha. I've met him, he's very nice and from what I know, he has a good deen and a good job!" Laibah said. Misha just scoffed.

"I know many other people like that!" Misha said.

"Like?" Laibah challenged. Misha was about to respond when Saqib started coughing really loudly. Misha took that as a sign and closed her mouth. That's when I realized what she was going to say. I stopped myself from doing a facepalm. These two...

"I'm going to go see what this guy is like." Misha said and hurried off to the den room, despite our protests. A few minutes later, she returned with Taalia. They were laughing and insulting each other. I wanted to smile but I still felt a bit angry. Why did she look so happy? Was the meeting going well between her and that guy? I hoped not. Then I mentally slapped myself. I was acting like a child.

I was so tempted to ask her how that guy was when she was called back by her father.

• ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ •

I left Taalia's house without saying anything. I was very annoyed. When Misha had asked if Taalia liked that guy or not, Taalia hadn't completely denied it. That meant she did like him, even if it was only a little bit.

After praying at the Masjid, I decided to go home and get some work done. My mom brought up marriage again but I didn't say anything. I was done with her pushing. I wanted her to wait. Of course I wanted to get married soon but I wanted to be working when that happened so that I would be able to give her anything she wanted. I also wanted to move out of my parents house too. She deserved her privacy, I didn't want her to feel even a bit of discomfort.

A few days later, I was in my room when I heard noise downstairs and I got excited. It was my second oldest brother! I ran downstairs and gave my brother a big hug.
"Salaam, habibi!" He smiled.

"Salaam, Maaz!" I grinned. It had been ages since I last saw him. He was busy with his first daughter who was born less than a year ago. He was helping his wife take care of her since she was born premature.

"Where is Fahima?" I asked, referring to his daughter.

"In the car with Sabia." He answered.

"Well bring them in!" I said.

"Not today, we have to get going soon anyway."

"Already? Why? Where are you going?"

"To the hospital, Fahima needs some special treatment again." Maaz said, frowning. Since Fahima was born premature, the doctors said she might have not been as healthy as normal babies so she would have had some problems.

"It's okay, Maaz, just keep praying and InshaAllah she will get better." He smiled at me. After my brother left, I decided to meet up with Saqib.

• ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ •