Chapter Thirty-six ~ She's engaged to who?!

Aasim's POV~

A week after I returned, I got my medical certificate that qualified me to be an official doctor in Canada. The next day, I got to start working as a real doctor! Alhamdulillah, things were going well for me. And, believe it or not, I was finally going to ask Taalia's dad for her hand in marriage in about a week's time, InshaAllah.

That is, until I got the phone call a few days later.

"Asalamu Alaikum, Saqib!" I said after I had picked up his call.

"Wa Alaikum Asalam, bro. Sorry I didn't get to call you earlier but I just wanted to congratulate you on earning your certificate! Even if you had to die to achieve it." I swear I could see him smirking on the other side.

"Yeah, okay, whatever." I chuckled. "JazakAllah Khayr!"

"Wa Iyakum. Anyways, what time are you going to Taalia's house?" He asked.

"Taalia's house? We're supposed to go today?"

"Yeah, they're having another planing session for Taalia's wedding. Well, actually, Misha's the one really doing the planning but having everyone there is-"

"WHOA WHOA WHOA WAIT! TAALIA'S WEDDING?!" I cried. "Since when did this happen?!"

"You didn't know?! Taalia got engaged to Daiyan."

Did you hear that?

That was the sound of my heart breaking.

"Y-you can't be serious." I stammered.

"I'm sorry, Aasim, I really thought you knew."

That's why he was at her house the other day!

I rubbed my hand over my eyes.

"Please tell me you're lying." I begged.

"Sorry, bro, I'm not." He said. I groaned and collapsed onto my bed. "Were you planning on proposing?"

"Yes!"

"No, well, of course I knew that, but when?"

"Sometime next week."

It was quiet on the other side for a while when I suddenly heard some shuffling then a voice shouting at me.

"AASIM, YOU CAN STILL PROPOSE!"

"Wha- Misha?!" I looked at the clock on my bedroom wall. "Shouldn't you be at school?!"

"I wasn't feeling well enough to go but enough about me, YOU HAVE TO PROPOSE TO TAALIA!"

"Misha, she's engaged!"

"SO?!" She screeched. "IT'S NOT LIKE SHE'S MARRIED, YOU DIMBO!"

"Wha- dimbo?! Ugh, Misha, I can't just go and ask her to marry me when I know that she is promised to someone else!"

"Aasim, don't go all sappy on me." I sighed.

"Saqib? Go take your crazy wife somewhere."

"HEY!" There was some more shuffling then Saqib's voice came back.

"Sorry about that."

"HEY, WHY SHOULD YOU BE SORRY?!" I heard Misha in the background.

"But Misha's right, bro." Saqib said.

"AHA!" Misha cried.

"What?! Are you guys crazy?!" I exclaimed.

"She has a point, it's not like she's actually married to him yet." Saqib said.