29. Bruised But Not Broken

It was late on the Wednesday night when Lily arrived in Austria.  She'd deliberately asked the team to book her on a late flight, so the hotel lobby was pretty much deserted when she arrived. 

She knew she'd have to face everyone the day after for media day, but the longer she put it off the better.  

The news had got out that she'd missed the French Grand Prix due to injuries sustained in an assault by her ex boyfriend, and she knew that the press would be asking all sorts of questions.

Leaving Joel behind had been painful, but he was still recovering in hospital from his injuries and wouldn't be returning to work until after summer break.   Poppy had taken the week off of work so she could be there for him. 

Lily had felt more comfortable leaving him after she'd heard that Liam had been refused bail and had been remanded in prison until his court date, which was scheduled for the fourteenth of August. 

Seb had been texting her daily to check how she was, something that she appreciated more than she could express.  He was one of the only people she was actually looking forward to seeing, although she didn't know how much she'd see of him as he was staying in his motorhome at the circuit, and she was a good twenty minute drive away. 

After checking in she made her way to her room, totally and utterly exhausted. She hadn't slept well since Liam's attack. She kept thinking about how close she'd come to losing Joel. 

After getting ready for bed she climbed underneath the covers. She looked at the time on her phone. It was just after half past eleven. She didn't know if Seb would still be awake but she'd promised him she'd text when she got to the hotel.

Lily: I'm at the hotel now. See you tomorrow x

Despite the late hour she received a reply just a minute later.

Sebastian: good. I can sleep easy now. See you tomorrow x

She sighed.  She just wanted things to get back to normal, but Liam had ensured that wouldn't happen, not until he was punished for what he had done anyway.  Only could she truly put all this behind her.   She wasn't going to let him break her though.  She was here and she was going to fight as hard as she ever had on track.  She had Scott blood in her veins, she was a fighter and Liam Ashcroft couldn't take that from her. 

She slept a little better that night knowing that the next day a little bit of normality would return.   It was what she needed. 

She got up early, ate breakfast in her room, showered and got changed into a pair of black leggings and her team shirt. 

She looked in the mirror.  There was a large bruise on her left cheek where Liam had struck her.   It was now purple, green and yellow.  Make up wouldn't help cover it, well maybe if she'd had a professional to do it for her it would help, but she only had her small make up bag with her.

"Fuck it," she cursed.  Why should she want to hide it?  Why shouldn't everyone see what an animal Liam Ashcroft was?  They all knew what had happened anyway. 

She brushed her hair and pulled it into a ponytail, not having the energy to braid it.

Finally, she applied a little lipgloss before heading back into the bedroom. 

She put her purse, phone and key card into her backpack, put her sunglasses on and headed down to the lobby to meet Luca.

She put her head down as she heads towards the burly Italian, not wanting to attract the attention of anyone.   They were early leaving so she hoped she wouldn't see any of the other drivers.