97. Escape To The Coast

🎵 Josie's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I want to say
You know I like my girls a little bit older
I just want to use your love tonight
I don't want to lose your love tonight
I ain't got many friends left to talk to
Nowhere to run when I'm in trouble
You know I'd do anything for you
Stay the night but keep it undercover
I just want to use your love tonight (whoa)
I don't want to lose your love tonight🎵

Seb smiled as he listened to Lily singing along to his playlist. The further they got away from Melbourne, the more she seemed to be relaxing. He knew that she had a long way to go, a hell of a long way, but getting her away from everyone for a few days was a start.

They'd been driving for around two and a half hours now, and according to the SatNav they had about another twenty minutes to go. Then they could relax and spend some quality time together away from the world, even if it was just for three nights.

The window wound down, Lily looked out at the countryside flashing by as she sang along to the song. She pushed her sunglasses up from where they'd been sliding down her nose and then turned to face Seb.

"Are you hungry? I'm starving!"

Seb grinned. She had an appetite! She hadn't had an appetite for weeks. "I am. Once we get there we'll find somewhere to grab a burger or something."

"How much longer?"

"About twenty minutes."

"You still haven't told me where we're going."

"I haven't?" Lily gave a small laugh.

"You know you haven't.

"It's a place called Apollo Bay. Someone I know has a holiday home there. I texted him and asked if it would be possible to use it."

"Someone you know?"

"Mark Webber."

"And he agreed? After all the shit you used to give him?"

"We get on well nowadays I'll have you know. Anyways, he said yes, and we have to get the keys from his housekeeper. He was going to ring her and tell her to expect us."

Lily looked back out of the window. She really didn't know how she felt. Part of her wanted to smile and laugh and have fun with Seb, but the other part of her felt guilty for having fun. Damon was dead. Damon couldn't have fun anymore.

Seb sensed a change in Lily. She wasn't singing anymore, and a glance sideways showed how tense her body had become.

"How are you feeling?" he asked tentatively.

"To be honest with you, I don't know Seb. I get what you've been saying, what everyone's been saying, that I'm not to blame, but inside I know I am."

"No baby, no you're not. You had no idea Liam would turn out to be a psychopath."

"No, but I should never have dated him. I only did because I was pissed off about you and Sofia."

"There you go then. You want to blame anyone, blame me. I was a dick." He began tapping on the leather steering wheel in time with the music, regretting his words. What if she did decide to blame him?

"It's not your fault Seb. You didn't know what would happen."

"Ha!" he exclaimed. "There you go then. You didn't know either, so it's not your fault. It's Liam's fault Lily, and Luca's. They're the ones to blame."