37. Russian Roulette

Russian Roulette is a deadly game of chance in which a single round is placed in a revolver. The cylinder is spun and the muzzle placed against the player's head or body.  They pull the trigger, and if the loaded chamber aligns with the barrel, the weapon will fire, killing or severely injuring the player.

There were no guns involved in the game of Russian Roulette that was being played out on the circuit at Sochi, and no one would die, but there was a game of chance going on with choices to be made, and the wrong choice could see dangerous consequences.

Seb cursed as he failed once again to get passed Lily's Haas.  What was she fucking playing at?  She wasn't racing him! Although she was in sixth and he was in seventh, he'd made his pit stop, she hadn't.  Why didn't she just make things easy and let him by?

She'd been in a strange mood all weekend. She'd turned his dinner invitation down, she'd barely spoke to anyone besides her own team, she'd picked up a reprimand for getting in Kimi's way in practice, and been very lucky not to pick up a grid penalty for blocking Nico in quali. Now it seemed she'd picked a fight with him.

Lily cursed as she glanced in her mirrors at the bright red Ferrari behind her.  She knew she should just let him by but Guenther has specifically told her to drive the wheels off of her car, and that's what she was going to do.  

Entering the DRS zone, Seb once again tried and failed to pass her.   It wasn't her fault he was too slow, Lily thought. 

She couldn't wait for the race to be over so she could get out of there.   She'd been in a foul  mood all weekend.  She'd received yet another gift from Liam when she arrived home from Singapore, this time a bracelet, and a bouquet of flowers.  Once again the police had done fuck all. 

Her head wasn't in the game at all.  She was worried about what would happen if he didn't go to prison.   He'd never leave her alone. 

As Seb closed up on her yet again she had a decision to make.  Let him past? Defend? She didn't know what to do. 

He went to pull alongside her and Lily instinctively closed the door.  It had been the wrong choice.  

Their cars hit, a loud bang sounded out that she heard despite the ear plugs she was wearing.  The whole car vibrated violently as it went into an uncontrollable spin across the asphalt, coming to a halt just inches from the barrier.  

"Fuck!!" she screamed, banging her fists on the steering wheel.  

Seb fought to keep his car on the track and facing forward.  He knew instantly that there was too much damage to continue. He managed to limp back to the pits, pulling into his garage and swearing under his breath. 

Lily Scott had no right being on a race track the way she had driven this weekend.   She'd totally ruined his race.  He'd been in first before his pit stop, and now he was out because of her!

He climbed out of his car and stomped off towards the motorhome, Antti and Britta jogging to keep up with him. 

He hadn't felt this angry in a long time.  He knew he'd have a few choice words to say to her when he saw her, which he knew he would when they were summoned to the stewards. 

However, several minutes after he'd shut himself in his driver room Britta had knocked on the door to tell him that the stewards had decided that no further investigation was necessary. 

Cursing with every German swear word he knew, he lashed  out with his foot and kicked his backpack across the room, followed by the wastepaper bin.

Britta closed the door and made a quick exit.  She hadn't seen Seb lose his temper like this for a long time.