Chapter Twenty-Four

Adriana

Chapter Twenty-Four

That gives me an idea . . . .

If someone could distract Larr, the rest of us could sneak into his shack and find a phone or computer to contact the outside world!  We could finally be rescued!  I know Larr might not have any technology in his shack, but it's worth a try.  It could be our last shot at being rescued.

"Guys, stop!" I shouted, skidding to an immediate halt.  That made Zayn run straight into me, and we both collapsed onto the ground.  The collision made me get thrown onto the grass, while Zayn crumbled to the other side of me.

"A warning that you were going to suddenly stop running would have been nice, you know," Zayn mumbled, rubbing his forehead in pain.

"Heh, sorry," I said.

Ben pointed in Larr's direction, his mouth forming a giant 'O' shape.  "Look guys, Larr's coming!"

And sure enough, Larr was hobbling over to us.  We could still outrun him, but that totally went against my plan.

"Zayn, Ben, I need you two to stay here and distract Larr.  Don't let him tie you up or anything, but keep him entertained.  I don't care how you do it, just find some way.  Meanwhile, Liam and Niall, I want you two to come with me.  I have a plan."

Ben smirked at me, although it looked nowhere near "normal" - more like demented.  "We can keep Larr distracted any way we want?  Hehehe."

I sighed and shooed Ben away.  "Yeah, sure, whatever.  Just go!"

With that, Ben grabbed Zayn's hand and dragged him to his feet.  "Come on, Zayn!  We have a mission to complete!  Larr, here we come!"

As Ben and Zayn raced away towards Larr, I could tell Zayn was furious at me for pairing him up with Ben.  He shot a nasty look over his shoulder at me.  I guess I probably deserved it.  No one deserved to be paired up with Ben.  Not even idiots - and especially not magical unicorns.

"So, what's your 'marvelous' plan?" asked Liam, his arms crossed over his chest.

I took a deep breath of air before speaking.  "Well, Larr has a shack - A.K.A. home - and I have a hunch  he has some kind of technology there.  Sure, he's a total recluse and mountain man, but he must have some kind of ancient phone or TV or computer there.  We can get help and we can finally go home!"

Liam and Niall's eyes widened, and wide, hopeful smiles spread across their lips.  They both glanced at each other excitedly before Niall replied to me.  "That's a great idea!  Let's go before Ben and Zayn fail us."  I knew that would be soon, so we had to hurry.

All three of us set off towards Larr's house, with me in the lead.  We were already pretty close to the shack, since we were in the same meadow.  None of us spoke as we ran.  I think we were all so excited and hopeful that we would find something useful in Larr's shack, that we didn't want to talk about it.  At least, that's how I felt.

When we neared the shack, we slowed down to a jog, and then to just walking.  I stood in front of the door and hesitated before pushing it open.  I stepped inside, and I was met by tons of clutter.  Literally.

There were old, dirty overalls everywhere - even in a bathtub that was for some strange reason placed in the kitchen.  I have no idea what Larr was thinking when he arranged his house.

"Everyone, look for a phone or computer!" I said.

But as I quickly searched everywhere in the shack, a crushed feeling started to form in the pit of my stomach.  I already knew there was no phone here.  Larr's shack only had two rooms, so it didn't take long to search the whole place.