Chapter 54: The Rook

welcome to the transition to the kingdom builders arc. This arc will be very very long, and will work on establishing things to cement them in for later on. Lots of fluff, lots of love, lots of angst and working through feelings as well as some returning enemies. Focusing not only on our main couple but also the surrounding couples as well. Bet you didn't know the Walsh arc was just a short one lol

And since you like them so much, here's the songs that inspired Will and Connor

Connor Lupin- History Maker from Yuri on Ice

William Walsh- Strong for Somebody Else by citizensoldier on tik tok

———————

"You know... you don't have to stay." William grumbled as he lay in the bed at St Mungo's, an enchanted bandage wrapped around his leg to regrow the skin and mend the muscle. Luckily the burn hadn't gone too far down so he would be able to be on the go fit as a fiddle within a few days.

"Yes I do." Connor said simply, reading a pamphlet on pixie pox beside him as he sat in the chair provided for guests in the patient room.

"No... you don't." Will scoffed. "Why are you still here?"

Connor glanced up to him over the small pamphlet. "You really don't know?"

William looked away, not able to meet his gaze in that moment.

Connor sighed in frustration, putting the pamphlet down in his lap before he looked out the small window of the hospital room. There was a tense silence between them, before Connor finally spoke again. "You protected me." He said in a small voice. "You could have died, and you shielded me."

William sat up further in his bed, feeling uneasy talking about this. "I did."

"Why?" Connor looked over to him with earnest, hopeful eyes.

"I... don't know." William said, looking down at his hands in confusion. "I just... did it. I didn't even think about it."

Connor watched him for a long moment, letting out a soft breath. "We have to work on things."

"What things?" William looked up to him.

"A lot of things." Connor said softly, still watching him. "What are you going to do now? Half of your home is burned, you killed your cousin, your father died in the fire... what now?"

William looked down at his hands again, looking rather lost. "I... don't know. I didn't think that far ahead."

Connor let out a soft laugh of disbelief, shaking his head. "You're unbelievable. You just did all that without even thinking of yourself."

William gave him a little glare. "It was the right thing to do. Diane is back home, now. My father won't bother her again."

"And the Walsh family is shattered." Connor continued. "Or do you intend on continuing it?" He gave him a dangerous look.

"Of course not. You know I'd rather not fight if I can help it. I've never enjoyed it." William said bitterly.

"What do you enjoy?" Connor asked softly.

William opened his mouth to say something, and looked away, his expression turning stricken. "I don't know." He said in a small scared voice.

Connor reached over and took one of William's hands, giving him a reassuring look. "Maybe it's time you found out."

William's face twisted with a wide combination of emotions before they seemed to disappear again behind a mask. "How?"

"Well, for one I think we should go visit your sister after you mend up. You two should have a long talk."