Chapter 37: Colors

(Warning: descriptions of abuse in this chapter)

Grab some tissues.

———————-

Ominis laid with Diane in bed that night, Sebastian snoring softly beside them. He had been consumed with lust for her and had forgotten to ask something else he'd wanted... well... several things.

"Diane, sweet." He whispered into the dark, leaning over so he could run his hand through her curls.

"Hmm?" She asked, still awake but a bit drowsy.

"Can I ask a favor?"

"Is it finally my turn?" Diane chuckled softly.

Ominis smiled warmly before laughing softly. "You know me so well. Please? I want to see Sebastian... but I'm afraid he might be self conscious."

"Probably would be, yeah." She smiled lazily.

"And... I want to see that day. The first time we watched the sunset together."

Diane felt her breath catch, but smiled warmly up to him, running her hand through his hair lovingly. "I'll show you anything you want to see, Ominis."

"Thank you, love." He said softly, reaching down to kiss her forehead sweetly. He reached over her to the table by the bed where his wand was, shifting so he was leaning partially on her. "Just try to keep your mind open, okay?"

"That shouldn't be too hard for me." She chuckled. She was usually an open book anyway.

He laughed softly, before setting the wand against her forehead gently.

He fell into her mind, and this time it felt warm and comforting. He wanted to bask in the feeling for a moment, but decided it was best to get moving instead.

He found one of the many pockets Diane had to her memories, finding it interesting that Sebastian had so few while Diane had so many. She was very easy to read, apparently.

He delved further into her mind, finding delicate strands of memories trailing all across her mind. He swam among them, and looked with concern as one of the bundles seemed to be faded, strands cut from the sides and left loose as if it had been purged from the rest. He hadn't seen that before.

He moved over to the faded bundle, thinking it might be alright if he took a quick detour...

He set his hand on one of the cut bundles, and-

A man with harsh eyes and black hair stared down at her, a paddle still in his hands as she was sore and tired from his punishment.

"You will try again." He said coldly, "and this time you will not fail."

"Please," Ominis heard her small voice and his heart clenched. How old was she in this memory?! She sounded like she was just a child still. "I'm so tired, daddy, please..."

Daddy? This was her father?!

The pale eyes of her father turned angry again, raising the wooden paddle once more "YOU WILL DO AS I SAY." He yelled, the paddle swinging down-

Ominis let go of the strand, unable to see anymore. No wonder Diane didn't like talking about her family... they were terrible. To think that earlier she had said she thought her father was a hero until they dumped her. It made his insides twist.

He swam back and looked with horror at how many strands were tangled in this knot. All of them terrible. Oh, Diane...

He gritted his teeth and swam away, part of him regretting snooping, because he knew she hadn't consented to it... but part of him grateful to know what she'd been through. He could definitely understand being from such a terrible family. It was no wonder they bonded so quickly once they got to know each other.