Birthday

Scarlett's POV
22nd November 2022
(2 weeks after last chapters)

Today is my birthday. Normally I would be happy about this day, regardless of growing older. However this year is different. Today the verdict for the custody case is supposed to be released. Originally it was supposed to be released two weeks ago, however there had been a lot of delays. So my birthday. Today of all days, I will find out if i'll have sole custody of Rose.

I make my way downstairs to the kitchen. As I walk through the doorway, I instantly spot the kitchen island covered in confetti a long with some gifts, cards and a bouquet of roses. I pick up a card, opening it up and reading the little message inside.

Happy birthday Scarly! Forever grateful for your existence in this world. You truly make everything a million times better.
I love you 3000 <3
- Y/n

I tear up reading the sweet note. I place it down, looking around for that certain someone. I make my way to the living room. Silent. I walk out to the backyard porch, noticing the brunette sat on the outdoor couch. I slowly walk over to her, sitting beside her. Y/n smiles once she notices me.
"Morning birthday girl!" She greets. leaning in to peck my lips. I kiss her back, pulling away shortly after before the kiss becomes heated. I rest my head on her shoulder, fiddling with Y/n's fingers.
"Is Rose at school?" I question.
"Yeah, I decided to drop her off as you were still asleep. I wanted to let you sleep in on your birthday." She explains softly. I smile to myself hearing her speak.

We sit in a comfortable silence, taking in each other's company. The silence was short lived, as my phone begins buzzing in my pocket, indicating a phone call. I lift my head off Y/n's shoulder, taking out my phone to check the caller ID. My lawyer. I look over to Y/n who gives me an assuring smile, squeezing my hand. I answer the call after taking a few deep breaths.

Y/n's POV

"Okay thank you. Bye." Scarlett ends the call. I look at her, concerned. Moments later, Scarlett's gaze turns towards me, her eyes like glass. Scarlett is overcome with emotion as she doesn't fight the tears that are streaming down her face. It was as though she had never felt so relieved and grateful in her life. Scarlett rests her head on my chest. I wrap my arms around her, as she continues to cry in my arms.
"I did it.." She says in between sobs. I couldn't help but tear up hearing her cry, as I think about the pure relief she must be feeling, knowing that not only does she not have to see her ex anymore, but Rose is now completely safe with her mother.

30 minutes has gone by and Scarlett is now a lot calmer than before.
"Hey wanna go open your gifts?" I offer. Scarlett looks up to me and nods excitedly, reminding me of Rose. We both walk inside to the kitchen island, where I had laid all the gifts out.
"I think you should wait to open Rosie's gift for when she's home, but for now how about you open this one." I hand her a small wrapped box. Scarlett grins, tearing open the wrapping paper before slowly opening the box.
"Oh my god.. Y/n. It's beautiful." She gasps. I carefully take the gold necklace out of the box, gesturing for Scarlett to turn around. I clasp the necklace around her neck, brushing my fingers slightly at the back of her neck, making her shiver from the unexpected touch. Scarlett turns back around to face me and I smile, leaning in to kiss her plump lips.
"Now you're officially my Scarly." I say, turning my attention down to the gold necklace with 'Scarly' written on it. Scarlett blushes, covering her face with her hands. I giggle at her cuteness, before kissing her forehead.

"Mama!! Happy birthday!!" Rose yells with excitement as she runs towards Scarlett. I laugh, putting down my car keys and Rose's school backpack. Scarlett crouches down and embraces her daughter, as I walk towards to two blondes.
"Thank you nugget. Are you ready for me to open my gift from you?" Scarlett asks. Rose nods enthusiastically and practically runs over to the kitchen island. Scarlett and I laugh before following behind her.

Rose hands Scarlett another wrapped box. Scarlett carefully tears open the wrapping paper before opening the box and gasps.
"Oh baby.. I love it so much. Thank you!" Scarlett tears up, holding up a stuffed pig. Tears begin streaming down her face, as she remembers the stuffed pig she got as a gift when she was 23, which she no longer had.

 Tears begin streaming down her face, as she remembers the stuffed pig she got as a gift when she was 23, which she no longer had

Rose hugs her mother close as Scarlett tries calming down. I decide to leave the blondes alone, allowing them to have a moment, so I decide to go up to Scarlett's bedroom and scroll through my phone.

Moments later, Scarlett enters the room, her stuffed pig in her hand. I look over smiling, switching off my phone, so all my attention is on her.
"Where's Rosie?" I ask noticing the small blonde isn't with her mother.
"In her room, playing." Scarlett replies, laying on the bed beside me, resting her head on my chest, as she hugs the stuffed pig close to her body.
"So guess who's birthday has broken Twitter.." I reveal. Scarlett looks up to me, thinking of an answer.
"Uh.. Ruffalo?" She looks at me with a serious expression, before we both burst out laughing.

I wrap my arms around Scarlett, rubbing her back softly.
"I'm sorry we're not doing anything big for your birthday.." I apologise.
"Don't be sorry. This is all I want. Right here." She confesses. I smile, kissing the top of her head.
"Hey Scarly.." I mumble.
"Yeah?"
"I love you, happy birthday baby.." I whisper softly.
"I love you too, darling."

A/n A birthday chapter for Scarly, but dedicated to one of my best friends, who I met all thanks to Kate Foster!! I love you sm Mia. Happy birthday <3