9)A sight to behold

***Note; My book is at 1k🥰. I know it's not much but I'll always be grateful for the steps I'm making with the help of all of you my dear readers. I'm super grateful that you take the time to actually read my book, to vote for it. And if I haven't dropped a thank you on your profile for voting, just know that I appreciate all of it. Your votes, your comments and your reads keeps motivated to write❤️❤️❤️***
               *
               *
               *
***

I could hear him talking to someone on the phone while he busy making breakfast. My heart picked a different pace as the memory of the short-lived kiss blinded my vision. It made my knees weak and my throat dry. Even if I could avoid facing the truth and instead blame everything on the drug they'd given me, deep down, the truth never left. Yes I was a little high, but I had taken my chances and did something that I would never do as my normal self.

      I plastered my back against the wall next to the kitchen door.

   Act normal Annie, Jack probably forgot about yesterday already. I consoled myself while pressing a hand on my chest.

  Suddenly, the noise of metal clattering startled me, followed by an angry bellow.
"What do you mean you lost him? The client is paying us that money to always keep an eye on that fucking lawyer. If you can't do your job properly, I'll get another agent to deal with you!"

    It fell silent.

Then, "I don't fucking care whether you move heaven and earth. Just get all the details required. If you can't do that, blow your bloody brains out!"

The sharp dagger of his words made me want to crawl under a table and hide there for hours.
  What was he talking about? Keeping an eye on someone... someone's details...agents!

Jack was a CEO, his work wasn't related to any of whatever he had talked about on the phone.

      "Get in here!" Jack ordered flatly.
That was for me. He fucking knew I was there... eavesdropping.

With my heart sinking in the bottom of my stomach, I made my way in the kitchen, saw the silver spatula lying on the floor...then the crossed expression on his face.

   He turned off the cooker and proceeded to sit at the table.

       "Come here!" Jack eyed me as his hand reached for the black band holding his hair in a ponytail.
A wave of relief washed through my body as I realized what he needed.

   "You okay?" I asked stopping behind him.

As my fingers slipped in his silky hair, he let out a sigh. "Some work stuff. Nothing to worry about."

    "Oh!"
I was honestly disappointed. He was clearly lying, but again,  there was nothing I could do to have him tell me the truth. After all, I was just a child in his eyes. So annoying.
I'll be turning eighteen in a month.

   "Annie?"
Jack's tone had changed. There was no more anger in it. Good. It meant my magic fingers were doing their job properly.

   "Mh!"

"Tell me, do you...do you remember...um...what happened yesterday evening?"

Dear me! Who ever knew I'd see the day when Jack would struggle to ask me about something? The mighty strong Jackson Raynatt sounded like a boy asking his crush for an ice cream date.