56) The TRUTH

*****3rd POV****

The sky was dark and cloudy. It was only seven in the evening, but it looked like nine already.

   It was bound to rain, and Beatrice had planned to use this to her advantage with the plan she had in mind.

In the thick darkness, she tiptoed with a shovel in hand and a small flashlight in the other. After countless days of studying the area, she knew about the three men that had been positioned to guard this cemetery after her last break in.

    Tonight, she was determined to fix her mistakes by digging up the one grave she had been dreaming of. Quite odd for someone to think of a grave, ain't we all afraid of dying?

There was a flash of lightning ,followed by the angry roar of thunder. It was announcing its inevitable arrival, warning all under it to make haste.
And Beatrice received its message loud and clear.

    She stopped in front of the gravestone.

"I am so sorry for what I'm about to do. But your daughter deserves to know the truth."
She whispered an apology and looked up to the sky. "Lord forgive me." She prayed.

    The first shovel was difficult to unearth due to the flowers and grass. But with each dig, the soil grew looser and looser, giving her access. It felt as though Paula wanted to be found and the truth to be known to Annie.

As the first drops hit the ground, Beatrice struck something firm. She laughed, feeling a sense of victory and relief. Now the difficult part was getting it to open.

   She thought over every possible way, and ended up deciding to stab the lid with the shovel till a hole was formed. She would personally make sure that the remains would be reburied when this case was closed and justice served.

     After seven powerful attacks on the strong wood, it chipped inwards, giving Beatrice some hope.

   "Your daughter is-" stab, "-a good kid." Stab! "Her grades-" stab, "-are impressive."

She went on narrating about Annie's life, mentioning that the person raising her was the problem. She promised to take Annie under her care when Jack would be sent to rot in jail.

Two minutes went by quickly. And before she knew it, there was a large hole enough for her to slide in her hand.

   Beatrice fell on her knees and sent in her right hand, praying not to come in contact with anything slimy(her worst fear).
Her hand felt around, making out the skull. From the length of time the corpse had been buried, it had lost all its hair. Which meant that Beatrice had to break off a bone, most likely a finger.

    God please forgive me. Paula, I'll make sure you rest in peace very soon.

She managed to grasp it before pulling out her hand.
Almost immediately, lightning struck once more. And a mighty thunder followed as the downpour intensified.

--------------------------------

Beatrice stared at the report in her hand in pure disbelief. Her eyes almost teared up, but she restrained her emotions since there were two officers on their desks right opposite hers.

     The test had been done secretly and efficiently. She knew that her entire career had depended on these results. One wrong result and her goal of being reinstated as a detective would be crashed to dust due to the law she broke the previous night.
Beatrice heart started swelling with gratitude to God. She left a mental note to buy Leonard Wood(from the forensics) coffee, or take him for a whole damn meal.