CHAPTER FIVE

N O V A

I sat in my car in front of the police department with my father's letter in hand.

I contemplated when the right time would be to open it. Last night could've been the night but I was already trying to wrap my mind around everything I don't think I would've been mentally prepared.

I put the letter in the glove box and stepped out of the car. Before I forgot I grabbed the brown paper bag for Miguel. It's been a while since I had come by to bring him his lunch, two weeks to be exact. Ever since finding out my father died our relationship has changed.

Last night it made me wonder if he knew what my father was involved in. If so why couldn't he at least be honest with me? I fixed my curls before stepping inside the department. The front desk worker Tom waved at me and told me it was ok to go in.

"As I live and breathe, Nova Davis comes back from the dead." Jonathan, Miguel's partner comes up to hug me. The weapons he had on his waist stabbed me in my stomach and I backed up.

"John that's the worst thing you could possibly say to her." Kat, a female officer takes her turn to hug me. "How have you been sweetheart? We missed seeing you around here."

"I'm ok." I force a smile and hold up the lunch bag. "I brought his lunch."

"Good. he's been in a prissy mood all damn morning." Kat says.

"It's only because he misses you." Jonathan wraps his arms around my shoulders leading me to the back. "I know relationships are hard when there's a family death and all, but my man is needing some action. Like ASAP."

I laughed at his humor. I can't be mad about it, he was right. We haven't been intimate for a month and it's all because of how compassionate he is towards my feelings. "Is that so?" I shove him playfully. "How's Amber?"

"She's good. The baby wants out. My poor woman is not prepared. You should come around again. I'm sure she would be happy to see a friendly face."

Amber and I only got close because our significant others were partners. We had a lot in common, med school, love to go horseback riding, and food lovers. The only difference was she was married after seven years in the relationship, and I was not. It's been nearly six years.

I didn't mind it at first, but then when my father mentioned if he was to propose to me anytime soon, it brought me to question if he ever would. I never brought it up for the simple fact that I don't want to seem desperate. I never like having to beg.

Especially when it comes to a man.

We walk to the back where they usually do their questioning. I'm never usually allowed to be there, but Miguel has pulled some strings for me.

His arms and head leaned on the wall staring into the transparent mirror. "Hey stranger," I call out. He turned around and smiled at my presence.

"How did you know?" he grabs the bag and kisses me.

"My girlfriend sense tingling."

"Thank you. I needed this." He grabbed the sandwich out of the bag and tore into it as if he hadn't eaten in days. He turned around clearing my view to the interrogation room.

A man sat on the side with pen and paper in one hand and front of him was who appeared to be the governor's son, with his arms crossed. I noticed him by the brass knuckle and rose tattoo on his hand. He revealed more of his ink when he rushed his hands through his hair and pulled up the sleeves of his tight dress shirt. There was no doubt he was attractive, but Miguel being right next to me, I pushed the thought out.