CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

N O V A

I moved back to the Estate. Being at Mom's house alone was getting depressing, too much for my liking.

During Christmas Claire stayed to spend the holiday with us. We were certain it was only because of Marco, but I didn't question her. I had hoped she knew exactly what she was dealing with being engaged to Rocco. I heard things about him, that aren't pleasing to the ears. Granted he's a controlled man, but those kinds are always ruthless.

Enzo spent the whole Christmas day with us. He knows how much it means to me and I wasn't going to miss it this year. I missed my parents but I knew they were looking down on me.

When the New Year came strolling around I started my residency. It was hard to get into the Hospital but Enzo being the man he is, pulled strings for me. The non-criminal way.

I was busier than ever and was home a lot less. The days I was home Enzo had work to do.

"Claire's, wedding is five months away. You sure you don't want to plan ahead of time?" I asked Enzo over dinner. Poppy prepped us a salad with rice and meat.

"Last-minute prepping doesn't seem so bad."

"Considering they are having the event at a hotel venue, maybe it would be best to book a room ahead of time. We can do some traveling ourselves." I said.

Claire calls me once in a while to check on me. I call her to see how she's holding up. Recently things with Marco have gotten harder for her to deal with. Enzo has had many talks with Rocco about his soldier and how if she is to cause any trouble, he'll have no choice but to end his life.

I remember Claire crying over the phone and telling me about it. I don't know what she expected to happen. Like Rocco's sister, Alaina, Claire wanted to run.

I begged her not to. It would only cause issues with Enzo and he can't handle losing Claire. Even if she's what they are now calling a "bastard child".

Enzo was glad that Aldo wielded taking her in still knowing that she was not a true Marino.

Many men and women around the Siena disapproved of Claire marrying Rocco. The bastard name-calling was too drawn out for her.

"How long do you plan on spending time in the Hamptons?" Enzo asked me.

I shrug, not knowing the exact answer. It would be nice to leave Florida for a while and take my mind off Mother. There are days when I can't make it out of bed. If it wasn't for my residency at the hospital, I would be stuck.

"I'll think about it," I said.

Witnessing how gentle and caring Enzo has been with me did something to my core. For months on end, he never pressured me into something I didn't want to do or bring up the day.

In early April, We spent the whole week drinking wine and having crazy sex. In our room, the bathroom, the kitchen, the outback for the creeps in the woods to watch, and even in the garage for some odd reason.

I couldn't get enough of him, and I wasn't going to let a ghost haunt me for the rest of my life. I'm rushing out of our room with my clothes on for work. I would change into my scrubs the moment I got to the hospital. Poppy had tea in a tumbler for me so it stayed warm.

"This is for Mr. Marino," Poppy said to me while handing me his lunch for the day.

I've been dropping off meals to him on my way to the hospital just to see him. Today he has his usual salad and steak.

"Thank you, Poppy. I will see you tonight?"

She didn't answer me only gave me a curt nod as if she wasn't sure.