CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

E N Z O

This "work" trip had to come to a fucking end. I came here for a few things, one being a meeting with some members of the Siena and the other to see what Angelo is up to.

I tried to stall attending this meeting until I had Nova to myself. When I didn't see that happening anytime soon I told them I'll attend the stupid meeting. Even if it is backtracking my progress with Nova. Though, I don't blame her for taking it slow with me, or even not wanting to take this relationship anywhere.

I couldn't help myself to genuinely feel something for her. She's strong, sexy, and fucking funny. She most definitely caught me by surprise. I didn't expect her to be like that. Suddenly felt like I didn't need to force anything with her.

But knowing my father he would force it if it wasn't happening yet. Election Day was four weeks away and by the looks of it, he needed more people on his side and fast. He would get me married to help him, one way or another. Maybe he'll threaten Nova.

"Are you fucking paying attention man!" Carlo, a capo in Jersey snaps me out of my thoughts. We all sat around the table with our drinks and food to please us. I had no stomach to eat, I have so much on my fucking plate already. And I'm not just talking about the food.

"He has his head in the gutter again. Thinking about that girl of yours huh?" Said Aldo, the boss of the bosses. "Get your head out of her pussy and focus. We need new shipment crews across the three states. Things have been fucking rocky since the death of Luis. I had to get rid of some of my men and you know how that works."

Oh, I was aware. The only way out of this organization was to be killed. For a man of course.

Women on the other hand were usually offered the free way, others not so much. They either ended up dead by Aldo's hands or working in a whore-house.

It was problematic but understandable in some circumstances. I don't believe in hurting females. But every leader is different and no one is to be trusted.

Maybe that's what got Nova's father killed, he was already a part of us from the moment he interacted with our organization, maybe he didn't want to see his daughter get hurt and he tried to leave this life.

Which makes me want to shit in my pants thinking about it. I'm not afraid of death but I'm afraid of the people I love dying if I was to try and run away. And those people were only Claire and Nova at the moment.

I haven't told Nova yet that I love her. I know she would run with that information.

I told them I would look around for more men. Trustworthy men who either have a horrible background that needs fixing or men who can't handle being threatened and would fall to your feet to keep them alive. I hated to bring their families into it but if it came down to it, that was Francesco's doing.

"I assume, we will speak about your father's election next." Marcello, the new capo in Chicago added. "It's not my state, but things seem to be getting rocky over there."

Carlo and Aldo look my way and I nod. I don't want to speak about this shit. I'm tired of explaining about the cops trying to get under my skin to make me speak. "Shouldn't our underboss and new coming consigliere be attending this meeting?" I try to avoid the unwanted topic.

"My son is handling matters back in New York with Elio. I am sure they would be pleased to see you here. Maybe make a trip to see them. Their fighting bids are always taking contestants." Aldo gave me a sardonic smile.

"I don't do childish fighting," I respond.

That's all they are anyway. Just two young adults who somehow have a higher ranking than the rest of us. I am twenty-seven and I can't fully call myself Capo because my father wants me to marry. It fuckimg drives me insane.