CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

E N Z O

It wasn't hard to put the pieces together.

Stefanie stayed at the apartment in fright. With Nova's room being a mess, I could understand why she was so scared. It was clear someone had taken her. Her bags for their trip were destroyed, and the tickets she said she printed out were missing. When Stefanie checked their ticket number, it was clear she was on the flight, but she wasn't alone. I told Stefanie to stay put and dont mention this to anyone except Nova's mother.

I had a sick sense Daniel was up to no good taking Nova.

On the flight to Chicago, I prayed that she was alive, in one piece, and unharmed. I didn't know where else to look beside her father's estate. I had no hope that she was in there but when I opened the door and found her standing hopeless and lost, all the weight on my shoulders lifted.

Nova glared at me and rushed over, her arms wrapped around me and she breathed in relief. I took in her warm embrace. Thankful I didn't have to go kill anyone to get to her. "I'm so happy you're here," She cried. "I was so scared." She removed herself from me and removed her curls from her face. "I tried to not act scared, but it was so hard."

"Did they touch you?" Scanning her body for any signs of distress, I find her wrist bruised and cut.

Nova pulled her hands back. "It's fine. I got slapped once, but it was a maniac, Daniel, I think his name is. I've seen him around my apartment once, but when I got home last night and woke up, he took me. He said if did anything stupid he would kill you and Stefanie." She cried into her hands.

I could only imagine how worried she was. Nova wasn't born into this world. She wasn't prepared properly for things that could possibly happen to her. Her father leaving her with all these assets only brought more attention to her. I worried that my being in her life only made it worse.

I watched as she toured around the house. I've been here once or twice when I was little, but dont remember much of it. The water and conditioner still worked like magic.

She felt dirty and brought herself to shower in the master room. She picked out a shirt that her father had in his closet and placed it on her. I didn't want to be there for the whole thing, but she didn't want me to leave her side.

When she spoke of my brother being there and wanting the money in a safe it only made sense that Angelo was no longer my brother. Yes, he's blood, but he didn't care for mine or Claire's well-being. He put Nova through trouble, therefore, I don't care for his well-being either.

I already started making calls around Chicago to keep an eye out for Daniel and Angelo. Capo Marcello was back from Jersey, and I knew if I could trust Carlo, I could trust him too. Marcella stated he would tell his soldiers to keep an eye and ear out, but he couldn't make any promises.

"His name was Felix," I tell Nova. I sat on the bed with her while she creied and told me how scared she was. It was all so fucked up, but I had to tell her there were things that happened out there that she can never fathom. "No one was ever allowed to call him by that name. He was a monster, the number one hitman in the Siena." I express. "But I'm sure you dont want to hear that."

She laid out on the matress staring up at the ceiling. "I know nothing about my father. Everything I thought I knew was wrong."

"Not entirely. He was a father to you, and I dont think he failed that." I realized soaking in this miserable topic wasn't going to help her. "How about we stay here for a while, you can explore Chicago and enjoy the house. I can fly out Stefanie if you'd like."

Nova shook her head. "I dont want her around all of this. She's pregnant, I wouldn't forgive myself if anything happened to her. Angelo said he has eyes on us."