Chapter 18

Kashvi-

Danish was nowhere and I was glad for it. After getting a warm bath,  I quickly adjusted my blue Saree matching it with a white blouse. I was about to apply the sindoor in my partition when Danish's words ringed in ears.

" You couldn't wait for eight months,"  the time left for our separation. He had said so easily,  just eight months I could wear all this.

My fingers trembled as I applied it on my forehead and took a deep breath.

" You look pretty," mom complimented patting my cheek. I smiled and looked at the entrance where Dad and Advika just walked inside from.

" You know, I'm not disappointed this time,  her arrival is the reason old man will also return soon," Sameer mumbled and mom showed him eyes to shut his mouth.

He grinned sheepishly , while mom cover her head with the veil motioning me to follow the same, so I obliged. The situation felt hilarious as I awkwardly followed what mom did.  Since I was here, he never forced me to follow any traditions but in front of the elders if she had to do it then I was supposed to follow too.

Back at my home, I've often seen both my Badi maa and mom always following these traditions. ' You should cover your head in front of your in laws, ' or traditions like, ' You cannot sit on the same couch or nearby anywhere where they are sitting, rather sit on the floor to show them respect, '

I hated this one always, it's like the daughter-in-law of the house isn't a human but your slave.

But even though we did not believe in them, for the respect we had for the elders we had to oblige.

How dumb!

After taking blessings from her,  she looked at me fixing her glasses which were attached to a string around her neck .

"Dikhne mein to theek hai baaki kaam-kaaj to sara aata hai na?" (Looks fine but does she know the work / responsibilities?"

She questioned looking at mom who just gave a brief nod to her pulling me inside the kitchen with her.

" Whatever she says, you are not allowed to argue okay?" mom warned me.  I agreed , at least I would try to.

She gave me literally a list of what to do and what not in front of Bua daadi while we prepared the breakfast. We set the table when Sameer came to help me,

" You are a boy , do not interfere in such things they'll do on their own," Bua daadi said to him.

Sameer grinned and looked at mom while he sat down quietly. I guess she was just getting started.

After serving her, mom took her seat and I was about to do the same when her voice stopped me, " In our times,  the daughter in law of the house used to eat after everyone.  We did not even dare to eat without our husband,"

So she was even worse than Taauji I supposed.

" Where's your husband by the way?"

I was about to tell her that my husband went to his office but he appeared, " Here, bua daadi," he said as he walked to her and took her blessings.

" You've grown up a lot and also turned handsome," she said but Danish just gave her a brief nod and turned towards me. I was quick to avert my eyes,

" Serve him,  bahu," she said to me and I grabbing this as an opportunity to avoid Danish quickly moved but his voice stopped me.