Chapter VII

A week later, I finally got the okay to go home. I don't know how long that'll last. "Miss, everything looks okay. You are set to go home." She pulled the IV out of my arm. "If anything happens, just call." She gave me a slight smile and walked out of the room.
"Mhm. I will." I changed my clothes and packed my books.
"Are you ready?" Felix walked in the door.
"Almost. I have one more thing I need to do." I walked next door and knocked. "I'm leaving today. I wanted to give you this." I handed Chan a bracelet.
"Did you make this?" He took it from my hand.
"I spent all week on it. Look I have the same one!" I held up my hand.
"I love it. It's so pretty." He immediately put it on. "I'm so glad you get to go home. Make sure to visit me!" He laughed.
"Well obviously." I pushed his shoulder. "I'll be over everyday for our daily meals. I can't miss those."
"Good, I enjoy our lunches." In all honesty, I was blushing a bit. "Your face is red." He looked down and silently giggled.
"Shut up, I can feel it." I hid my face in my hand.
"Call me anytime you need. Thank you for this." He shut the door and I was on my way.

In the car back home, I decided to stay with Felix for the time being. He offered and originally, I turned him down, but it'd be nice to have him around again. "You got everything, right? I can turn around."
"Stop worrying, I got everything." I nodded.
"I have an extra bedroom for you to use so you don't have to sleep on the couch." He turned down our street.
"You have an extra room?" It was odd because he lived alone.
"Yeah, I made sure to buy one with two rooms just in case you wanted to stay." He looked over and smiled.

When we got to his house, it felt so nice to finally be home. The hospital smell was always too much for me to take in and often made me nauseous. This still felt like vacation, a visit even. I knew I wouldn't be here long.
As we went inside, Felix took my bags up to my room. "I can take them up there."
"I got it. You make yourself at home and take it easy. Don't move too fast, you'll hurt yourself." He said.
I flopped on the couch and let out a sigh of relief, quickly grabbing my phone from my pocket.

"Did you make it home safely?" It was a text from Chan.
"Yes, I did. I'm getting settled in." I responded. It didn't take him long to get back with me.
"That's great! Call if you need anything. Make sure to rest!"
"I promise!" I turned my phone off and sat it on the table.
Felix came downstairs and rolled up his sleeves. "I'm going to make dinner." He pulled out pots and pans. "The remotes right there so watch anything you want. Or you can go to your room." He smiled as he cut up vegetables.

I went up to my room to unpack my things. I unzipped the bag, carefully taking my clothes out and putting them in drawers. I stacked the books neatly on the shelves and took out my journal to set on the desk.
Sitting down in the desk chair, I flip to a new, blank page. I like writing. Not journal entries, I just enjoy writing. Short stories, poems, and even song lyrics. Although I'd never waste my time publishing any of it, it's nice to drift off somewhere else. Somewhere else that isn't here.

I heard a call downstairs. "Dinners done! Make sure to wash up and take your time on the stairs!" I shook my head and laughed a bit. He's so worried over nothing.
I went to the bathroom and washed my hands, pausing to look at myself in the mirror. I put my hair up and rushed downstairs. "Slow down. I said be careful, not sprint."
"I'm fine. Stop worrying so much." I patted his back.
"If you don't like what I made, there's more stuff in the kitchen. Help yourself to it." He grabbed a napkin from the container.
"I'm going to eat it. I always like your food." I shoved a huge bite in my mouth, sarcastically, to show him how good it was.
"You're going to get choked." He giggled, reaching across the table to smack my shoulder.
"You're such a bully. Be nice." I smiled, sarcastically.

When dinner was done, I helped clean the dishes. We didn't talk much, it was silent as we helped each other until he finally broke the silence. "I wanted to talk to you about something."
"Mhm."
"Don't go to the hospital tomorrow." He never looked at me.
"Why not?" I was confused.
"You might be overworking yourself and you could get hurt. I don't want you going." He seemed angry.
"I have to. I promised I'd visit. Plus I'm fine. I truly am okay." What has gotten into him?
"I said no. You need to be resting!" He raised his voice.
"I know you're scared sick about me, but you have no right to yell at me." I tried to stay calm.
"I said you can't go. You're too weak to go! You have to rest!" He screamed louder.
"I don't have to do anything! My life is ending soon! I want to go places even if it means that I'm only making my life shorter!" I screamed back. "I want to live normally until my last breath. I'm sorry that I worry you this much. I want to live freely." I lowered my voice. I was in tears.
"I didn't mean to yell. I just don't want you to die." His breath hitched. "You know how hard it is to watch my little sister die, slowly? I can't take it."
"Imagine being the one that's dying and knowing there's nothing you can do about it." I walked up the stairs while he said my name over and over again.

I'm not mad at him for being this way, in fact, I'd be concerned if he didn't act like this. My whole life, he's been my best friend and now I'm leaving. I'll never understand what he's going through because I'll never have to experience it myself. I'm thankful that he doesn't have to be in my shoes. He's got so much to live for and I hope he lives a happy life, even if I'm not there to live it with him.