Chapter XIV

The next morning, I decided to take Chan to meet my parents, officially. This time I was introducing him as my boyfriend so I was pretty nervous. I called him to let him know.
"Get dressed. I'm taking you to meet my parents today."
"Alright. I'll be ready." I hung up the phone and went downstairs to find Felix. He had a rough night and I wanted to make sure he was okay.
I found him sleeping on the couch with a picture of me and him in his hand. I knew he was hurting badly and I knew that some day, he would break. I just didn't think it'd be so soon.
I woke him up. "Felix." I nudged him.
"Hmm." He groaned, carefully rolling over to look at me.
"Get dressed. I'm taking Chan to meet mom and dad. I wanted you to come with." I didn't think he'd want to go, but he had been avoiding our parents for days now.
"I don't want to see them right now."
"Why not?"
"They shoved that will in your face, knowing this was all too soon." He was angry and upset. They had no right to do it, but I get why they did.
"I'm not mad about it." I rubbed his back. "Please forgive them. You're all they have right now."

He decided to go for my sake. He was frustrated with the way they had been avoiding me for a week. My time was limited and they knew that.
We arrived at Chans house, it was bigger than I expected. I walked up to the door and knocked.
"There's my pretty girl." He opened the door and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"Felix decided to go with us, I hope that's okay."
"It is. I was hoping he would." We walked to the car, hand in hand. Swinging our arms back and forth.
On the way there, the car ride was silent. Everyone was acting strange. "You all are really quiet." I said in attempts to break the silence, but no one said anything.
When we got there, Chan opened my door to help me out of the car like he always does. I rang the doorbell. My mother greeted me. "Have you been okay?"
"Yes, I have." I was still upset with her.
"Why don't you guys come inside." We walked in, taking our shoes off by the door.

As we sat down at the table, my dad walked in the room. He didn't greet me like he used to. I tried breaking the silence. "So I wanted to introduce you all to Chan. I know you've met him before, but this time I want to introduce him as my boyfriend." My parents froze. They didn't seem happy for me. I was worried.
"This isn't right." My dad spoke up.
"What?" I was confused.
"You can't be dating with your condition!" He slammed his hands on the table and stood up.
"What's wrong with it?" I also stood up.
"You're going to die! What's the point?" He shouted. My mother tried to calm him down, but he swatted her hand away.
"So what? Do you want me to rot away?"
"I'd like it better if you didn't date! We're all mourning over someone who isn't even dead yet! Imagine how he feels." Anger took over and I lashed out.
"You have no right to tell me what to do! I am dying! I want to experience everything before I leave! Why can't any of you seem to get that?" I stormed out of the room and ran outside.

As I walked down the sidewalk in the pouring rain, Chan chased after me. He grabbed my hand and turned me around. "Come back inside."
"Did you not hear what he said? I'm not going back." I tried to keep walking, but he held me by my waist.
"I know you're upset. You have every right to be. Just come inside, please." It began to rain harder. I lashed out.
"I'm so sick of being forgiving. All they do is shove my death in my face!" He held my hands in attempts to calm me down.
"It's okay. You're going to hurt yourself."
"Let go of me!" I yanked my hands away. "I'm sorry, but I can't be here." I ran even further trying to get away.
I felt myself getting weak as I collapsed on the ground. I tried to catch my breath, but I couldn't. Everything was blurry. I could see Chan running towards me, screaming for help. He held me close to his chest as I went in and out of consciousness. "I'm not angry at you. Everything's going to be okay." He kept repeating those words over and over again.

When I woke up, I could hear faint sounds of beeping and the smell was strong. I sat up. My vision was still not all there. I looked around to notice I was back in the hospital. The one place I didn't want to be.
Chan walked through the door with a cup of water. "Don't worry, it's not an over night thing. You'll be out later this evening." He sat on the bed next to me and played with my hair. I laid on his shoulder. I was tired and couldn't keep my eyes open. "Go to sleep. I'll stay right here with you."
As I drifted off, I could feel his heartbeat. It was slow and soothing. It made me warm and at peace.

When I woke up, Chan had fell asleep next to me. Felix was outside the door, waiting. I motioned him to come inside. "I'm so sorry."
"It's not your fault, Lix." He always apologized for what my parents did.
"I talked to them about what they said, but they didn't listen to me." I wasn't surprised. My dad was set in his ways and my mom followed his every move.
"I'll never go back there. I know they're our parents, but I can't forgive them for that."
"I don't expect you to." He sat down in the chair next to me. "Please remember that you don't owe them an apology. They owe you."
His words stuck with me the whole evening. They owed me a lot of apologies, but somehow they always found ways to skip past it. Nothing going on right now is fine, but they love to ignore everything. I can't sleep, I can't eat without thinking about how much they owe me. I'll never forgive them for what they said to me. I know it's shameful, but it's not right.