Chapter XXXIX

"There you are, princess. I'm so sorry I'm late. I was looking everywhere for you." Chan smiled. I fell into his arms, sobbing uncontrollably.
"Is it really you?" I grabbed him tighter.
"It's me." He rubbed my back.
"Where have you been? I've been waiting for you." He wiped the tears from my eyes.
"Let's go somewhere so we can talk about it, okay?" I nodded my head as he led me on a walk.

We sat at a park bench, his hand in mine. "Thank you so much." He said.
"For what?"
"For allowing me to love you." He grabbed both of my hands. "Because I was allowed to fall in love with you, I've grown a soul." He smiled.
I stared at him. "A soul?"
"Guardian angels don't have souls so we can't feel the emotions humans normally do." He paused. "But thanks to you, I now have a soul which means I was ready to be born."
"To be born? Like reborn again?" I wiped my tears.
"No, like born as human." He held me. "Nina, I'm human now." My entire brain was spinning, I was thrilled.
"Human?" I hugged him tighter. "No more disappearing?"
"No more of that. I get to live with you and die with you too. It's you and me forever." I jumped into his arms all giddy.

As we walked back to the hotel, I explained everything that happened with me and Sam. He wasn't angry and he honestly expected it. He was gone for a while and he didn't think he'd ever come back to me.
"I'm not mad. You deserved to be happy with anyone you chose." He smiled.
"I choose you. I always will." I smiled. "If you wouldn't have came back, I still would've waited for you every day."
"Lets get the first flight back home tomorrow." He kissed my head.

We got a hotel room, away from the one Sam and I had been staying in.
We sat on the bed, admiring each other. He traced my features with his hands while I played with his hair. "You look the same yet so different."
"Having a soul makes you warm. I don't have that cold look anymore." He held my hand, kissing the back of it.
"Now that you're human, what're you going to do now?" He sat up, facing me.
"Well, I may start working at the hospital. Protecting and saving lives has been my job since I was created." He smiled.
"Thank you for saving mine." I hugged him, burying my face in his neck.

The next morning, we packed my things and caught the first flight home. We boarded the plane and was on our way.
Upon getting off, he carried my bags all the way to the car. His arm around me as we walked. He put the bags in the trunk, closing it shut.
"Let me drive you." He suggested.
"But you just got back, let me do it." He grabbed the keys.
"It's okay. I want to drive you home." He kissed me and got in the drivers seat.

We decided to visit Felix in his new house. While I was on vacation, Felix had found a house close to my apartment complex.
It was 10 miles up the road from it. "I haven't seen Felix in a while. Do you think he's doing okay?"
"I'm sure him and Ha-ri are doing just fine." He smiled, putting his eyes back on the road.
"How am I going to explain this to them?" I asked.
"That I'm back?"
"Mhm." I fidgeted with my hands.
"I'll explain it. Don't worry." He put his hand on my thigh.

When we got there, I was overwhelmed with excitement. Everything was working out perfectly. Chan didn't have to leave anymore and I didn't have to be cautious about being with him.
"Felix!" I kicked my shoes off, jumping in his arms. "I missed you so much."
"I missed you more." We sat there for a while.
"This house is so nice!" I walked around, giving myself a tour.
"Chan!" Felix yelled, running up to Chan. "Brother, where have you been?"
"I was with my mom in Korea." He hugged Felix. "I missed you, kiddo!"

We all sat down on the couch, catching up with each other. "Nina, there's something I need to tell you." Felix sat up.
"What is it?" I sat my cup down.
"Me and Ha-ri live here, together." My jaw dropped to the floor.
"Oh my god! So it's official?" He nodded his head and I squealed. "Where is she?"
"She's at the store." Right as he said that, she walked through the door.
"Nina!" She dropped the bags, crying.
"Don't cry!" I rubbed her back.
"You've been gone for so long!" She cried more. I wiped her tears.
"I'm not going anywhere, okay?" I pulled her back in. "I'm so sorry, Ha-ri."

Felix decided to make us all dinner to welcome me and Chan back and to celebrate him and Ha-ri.
He made everyones favorite meals as we sat down at the table.
"Thank you for this." Chan spoke up.
"Anything for you, brother!" He smiled.
As everyone ate, we talked about everything and laughed. It felt so nice to have people to call family. Although my parents were out of the picture, these people took care of me when I needed it most.
After dinner, Chan tapped me on the shoulder. "Take a walk with me?" I nodded.

We walked down the street, hand in hand. "There's something I want to show you." He smiled, dragging me along. "Close your eyes." He put his hands over my eyes, leading the way.
"What're you going to show me?" I giggled, trying to watch my step.
"It's a surprise." He laughed. "Now open." He removed his hands.
When I opened my eyes, there were flower petals in the shape of a heart around me. There were lights hung in the middle of the park and butterflies everywhere. It looked magical.
When I turned around Chan was on one knee in front of me. "Nina." I put my hands over my face and gasped. "I have loved you for hundreds of years, but this is the first life I have been able to love you, freely. I may not be your guardian angel anymore, but I want to take care of you forever." I cried. "You're all I have ever wanted and in the next life, we will meet again. Will you marry me?" I sobbed, uncontrollably.
"Yes! Of course I will!" He slid the ring on my finger, getting up to kiss me. "It will always be you."
"Forever." He smiled, giving me one last kiss.