Chapter XX

The next day, I went to the hospital. I usually don't go every day, but something in me wants to go to see someone. Someone I don't know.
When I arrived, I searched for the man in my dreams. I followed my heart. I kept bumping into Chan. "I'm so sorry!"
"Do I know you?" What was his problem?
"Stop acting like that! We've met multiple times." He rolled his eyes back at me.
"No, we haven't. What are you talking about?" He walked away with his hands in his pockets. I followed him to the rooftop. He turned around. "Stop following me!"
"Admit you know me! I see you everywhere and every time I look at you, I feel like I'm supposed to know you." He stepped closer to me.
"I have no clue who you are. I'm being honest, princess." He leaned against the edge and pulled a cigarette out of his pocket.
"Since when do you smoke?" I covered my mouth quickly. My memories were fuzzy, but for a second I saw him in mine. We were at an amusement park, standing in line. I remembered he was staring at me, lovingly.
"What'd you do?" He held his head and doubled over in pain. "Ah, everything hurts." I stared at him until our eyes met. His glare went from cold to warm. "Did you just show me a memory?"
"You saw it too." He walked closer to me.
"I feel it. I'm supposed to know you?"

We stared a bit longer, being flooded with memories that I don't remember. "So I'm not losing it?" He snapped out of it and his glare went back.
"You're insane." He went back to the edge.
"I know you know me." I stood up on the ledge and looked down at him. "I'm not crazy." I closed my eyes and leaned back. He grabbed my arm almost instantly and his glare was back to being warm. He was crying. I got down and stood in front of him. "I don't know what's going on, but I know that I mean something to you in some way. You can't deny that."
"I can't. I don't want you getting hurt." We stood hand in hand, letting our memories take control. Although we knew nothing, we saw everything in replay.

Upon going back downstairs, I was stopped by a nurse. "Can I talk to you?"
"Of course." She took me into her office.
"Congratulations. We looked through your scans and tests. You're no longer sick." She held my hands, but my face went pale.
"I thought I was set to die this month."
"You were, but your tests are clean. It's a miracle." She squeezed them tighter. "You get a second chance." She smiled and walked out of the room. I was distraught, but excited. I wanted to tell someone, but didn't know who to tell first. It was all still so fresh. I decided to sit on it for a while.

On the way home, I couldn't help but stop at the beach. I'm not sure why I like going here. I sat on the shore line for hours, watching the stars and the water. "Thank you for giving me another chance." I said quietly to the sky.
As I went to get up, my eyes met with Chans. "Excuse me." As I walked away, he grabbed my wrist.
"We need to talk." He had a firm look in his eyes.
"About what?"
"About what you do to me." My eyes widened for a second, thinking he meant something else. "Anytime I look at you, I see this flood of memories. You're the only person that does that for me."
"I'm not sure why I see it. Maybe in a past life?" He looked away.
"I don't think that's it. Also, you've been to my garden. How'd you get in?" I smacked his shoulder.
"So you do know what I was talking about."
"Ouch! Was that necessary." He held his shoulder.
"It was! You had me thinking I was crazy!"
"No one's allowed in there unless I want them there." He rolled his eyes.
"Maybe you wanted me there with you." I didn't know him, but I could tell he lost someone he loved endlessly.
"Why would I? I don't know you."
"Maybe you do. You're not human so maybe you just forgot me." I caressed his face and stared into his eyes. A tear rolled down my cheek. As he went to wipe it off, I suddenly collapsed.
"Nina!" He ran towards me and put me in his lap as I blacked out.

I woke up in a dark room. It looked familiar. The lights came on as a man walked towards me. "I guess some things are impossible to rewrite."
"Who are you?" I stood in a corner.
"Do you remember the deal we made? The one about rewriting your fate?"
"What are you talking about?" I suddenly had anger course through my body.
"You came to me to rewrite your fate for a small price. Don't you remember?" He walked closer to me. "I'll give you one word." He leaned into my ear. "Chan." My ears rang as I slammed into the wall, holding my head. My head flew back as all my memories came back to me. I watched every one of them sped up. When I came to, I suddenly remembered everything.
"Oh my god, Chan!" I stood up.
"I don't understand how you were able to get your memories back. Sadly, he'll never know who you are." He walked away.
"He will! I'll make him remember me!" I screamed.
"The best of luck to you. Chans not human. He doesn't have a conscience like you do. He will have to relearn who you are all over again." He smirked and disappeared.

When I woke up, I looked around for Chan. I can't believe I had forgotten him like that. I had felt so empty for days, not knowing who he was. I was still on the beach, but he was nowhere to be found. "Chan!" I screamed every breath. I ran around for hours looking for him, hoping he'd remember. After all that searching, I never found him. It's like he disappears every time he remembers something about me. I will make him remember me. I promised I would never leave his side.