Chapter XIX

Later that night, Felix came to see me. "Are you doing okay?"
"I think so. I'm not sure why I'm so weak lately." I got up from the bed to check the clock and quickly remembered there wasn't one.
"What are you doing?" Felix looked around the room.
"I'm not sure. I keep wanting to check the time, but I can't remember why I'm doing it." I picked up a lot of habits that didn't make sense to me. I do things without thinking, like they were a routine. "Can you check the time for me?"
"It's 2:22 a.m." I shot up from the bed. Why am I excited? "Are you sure everythings okay?"
"Yeah, I'm not sure what's gotten into me today." I laid back down and stared at the ceiling, slowly drifting off the sleep.

I woke up on the beach, laying on a blanket. There was a man next to me. "You're awake." His voice was muffled. I desperately tried to see his face, but everything was so blurry. "You need your rest. Lay down." He patted my head as I laid down.
I tried to stay awake, but my eyes were so tired. As I drifted off to sleep, I heard him scream. I shot up. "Nina!" I looked around, but I couldn't see him anywhere. I ran around, hoping to find him.
I saw him standing on the edge of the water. He was fading into thin air. I panicked. "Nina, please don't do this."
"I'm not doing this." I grabbed his face as the tears rolled down my cheek.
"Please remember me. I need you." He kept fading, but there was nothing I could do.
"I promise, I'll find you someday. Please wait for me." He disappeared from my site as I sobbed near the water. My hands cupped my mouth trying to soften my cries. Why was I being tormented with this dream?

My eyes quickly opened as I shot up from bed. I was heavy breathing and crying from beforehand. I wiped my tears. "Are you alright?" Felix rubbed my back.
"I had the weirdest dream." I grabbed his hand. "Felix. Was I with anyone?"
"I'm not sure. I kept getting this feeling that you were, but I can't remember." I was the only one suffering from these horrible dreams and memories of a man that I don't know.
"In my dreams, there's a man. I can't see his face or recognize his voice, but he calls out to me. He begs me to remember him and for some reason, I always promise I'll find him. And then, he fades away." Felix comforted me.
"I'm sure it's probably from the medicine they have you on or maybe it's because you're afraid of dying like that." What he said made sense. When I die, it'll be like disappearing in front of my loved ones while they sob about my death. Could this be the reason?

Later that evening, I was discharged from the hospital. Felix took me home. "Do you want to stay with mom and dad tonight?"
"Not really. Somethings telling me not to." I looked out the window and sighed. "Do you really think those dreams are nothing?" I looked over at him.
"I think it's your fears. You're freaking yourself out because you're getting sicker." He turned into the driveway. "I wouldn't worry about them. If they keep happening, we'll go see someone about it, okay?" I nodded my head as he got out of the car. I sat there for a long time. Gathering every detail from that dream. Was I thinking too much about it? Or is it something I should be worried about?
Something keeps telling me to search, but I don't know what I'm looking for or where to even begin. I yearned to find that man. I had made a promise, I'd remember him, but I can't.

Days went by and I was still beating myself up over it. I couldn't eat anymore without making myself sick and I couldn't sleep without having those terrible dreams.
I went downstairs to grab breakfast before heading out when my phone suddenly rang. How did Chan get my number? "Hello?"
"Who is this?"
"Nina. The girl you met at the hospital." I was confused. I don't remember asking for his number.
"Why is your number in my phone?"
"I'm not sure." We were both distraught. I went through the messages only to find that we had been talking for months. "I don't remember any of these. My illness must be getting worse."
"Delete this number." The phone line went dead. It was strange to see all those messages, but not remember any of them. Was he the man I had been seeing?

I rushed downstairs to find Felix. "Felix!" He was startled.
"What's wrong?" He ran over to me, looking me up and down, worriedly.
"I think I hit my head when I blacked out a few days ago!" He was confused. "I found some messages between me and this man that I met in the hospital, but I don't remember them nor him."
"Let me see." I pulled out my phone, only to find that the messages didn't exist and neither did the contact name. "You're just sick. Why don't you go lay down."
"No! I swear they were there." I scrolled through my recent calls but there was nothing. "I just talked to him and the messages were right there. Please believe me."
"How can I believe you when they're not there anymore? You're just tired." He walked away as I tried to find the words to explain it to him.
All the messages were there. I saw them, I know it's not me hallucinating. There's something going on. Something happened when I hit my head and I'm going to figure it out.