Chapter XXVII

For days I spent all my time with Felix, occasionally seeing Chan to let him know why I had been so busy. He was so understanding and wanted what was best for me. He never gave up on his memories, in fact, he started seeing them in dreams. It wasn't enough to get him back to where he was, but he was learning how we met. Everything was slow paced, but we were okay with it.
We celebrated all of the small things like when he first remembered why I was in the hospital. I took him out for ice cream and laid in the sun for hours. He was making progress and the man in black was gone.
I hadn't seen my father in days and neither had my mom. He had disappeard, telling us he went on a business trip. I started to wonder if all those business trips were a lie considering he was much more than what I thought.

The day my dad had came back, all hell broke loose.
"Did you hear that dad's back?" Felix looked over at me as I made lunch.
"Mhm." I was hesitant, scared, and nauseous. No one knew anything about this, but me.
"I know you aren't fond of him right now, but maybe you should go talk to him." I felt angry. I felt as if he was being inconsiderate.
"I don't want to." I said, firmly.
"I'm sorry. You don't have to. I was just making a suggestion." He turned back to the table, setting it up for us.

I laid out the lunch while we sat in silence as we ate. I wasn't mad at Felix. I was scared of facing my dad. If only he knew exactly what he was, he'd understand.
After lunch, Felix decided to take me out shopping. It had been a while since I had new clothes considering I thought I was going to die soon.
We browsed the store, slowly picking out random pieces and holding it up to me. I giggled. "How about this one?" As I held up the ugliest shirt I could find.
"Are you sure?" There's no way he thought I was serious.
"Of course not." I laughed.

When we left the store, Felix suggested going to a corner store for some snacks. "I'm going to run across the street, do you want to come with?" I shook my head.
"I'll wait for you here." I smiled as he ran across.
I was sitting on a bench outside of an ice cream shop. That's when I saw Chan.
"Are you here alone?" He ran up to me, hugging me tightly.
"No, Felix is over there." I pointed.
"I brought you this." He handed me a bracelet with mine and his initials on it. "If for some reason I lose my memories again, find me with this."
"Thank you." My arms were around his neck as I sobbed silently. The thought of doing this all over again chilled my spine.

"I got you this." Felix ran back to me, swinging a bag in his hand. "Who's this?" He looked at Chan.
"Felix this is my boyfriend Chan." I introduced him. "And Chan this is my brother Felix."
"Boyfriend?" Felix raised his eyebrows.
"I'm allowed to have a boyfriend, you know?" I giggled.
"I'm so sorry we haven't met sooner. We just started seeing each other a few weeks ago." Chan apologized.
"It always feels so weird to see her with someone, but I forget she's an adult sometimes." Felix shook his hand with a smile.
"I should get going and leave you two be. It was nice meeting you." Chan kissed my cheek and walked away.

When I got home, I was annoyed with questions. "When did you meet? How did you meet? Is he nice?"
"Slow down." His questions we're starting to run together.
"He better be nice to you." He rolled his eyes.
"He is! You're just overprotective and sensitive." I giggled.
"I just don't want to see you go through the pain. You've been through enough." He hugged me. It was weird. Even though he hugs me all the time, I could tell something was bothering him.
"What's wrong?" I rubbed his back.
"I talked to dad earlier. He said some cruel things about you." I let go.
"What?"
"He doesn't want you coming around anymore. He doesn't approve of your boyfriend." He looked down at the floor.
"Don't worry too much about it. As long as I have you, it doesn't matter." I pulled him back in for a hug. He had been through so much with me and deserved a break.

The next day, I made it my priority to confront my father. As I put my shoes on, Felix stopped me. "Where are you going?"
"Out." I couldn't tell him where.
"But where?" He pouted.
"To talk to dad." He gripped my wrist, pulling me away.
"Please don't go alone. Let me go with you."
"I need to do this by myself. I'm sorry." I wiggled out of his grasp and went out the door.

When I got there, I heard my dads voice call to me. "I told you I didn't want you coming back unless you broke it off with that boy."
"We need to talk." I stood my ground.
"We already did. What I say goes." He turned around to walk in the house.
"You have no right to do this to your own daughter. You're sick and cruel." He stopped.
"I'm sick and cruel? It's the rules. I'm only doing what I was told to do." He slowly walked towards me.
"Why does it even matter? At least explain it to me."
"You are mortal. He is immortal. If he starts loving you, as soon as you die, a part of him dies. You'll kill him." He stopped and stared at me.
"So what? I will dig two graves for the both of us. He loves me and I love him. We will die together." I walked away as my dad yelled for me.
I knew this was all wrong. I promised I'd stay with Felix, but if things had to be this way then maybe it was my fate. I may not be sick, but maybe I was always meant to die this young. I couldn't out run it.