Gaara of the sand

(2.5 years ago)

"Makota, I need you to go into the village hidden in the sand and retrieve the scrolls that the council has for us. It's regarding the information on the whereabouts of a few of the Scarlet eyes." My brother demanded.
He was giving our group orders for this month.
I was to travel inside the sand village retrieve the scrolls and bring back some of the eyes of our clan. I was to set out right away.

It took about one day to make it inside the village of the sand. First thing I did was walk to the building were the council offices were, to retrieve the scroll. I was tired, my feet began aching but I pressed on.
Once I made it up the stairs and into the room, i told them why I was there and what I was obtaining. They had spoken with the boss of the Nostrate family, of course that being my brother and handed me the scroll.

I left the building knowing I needed to find an Inn somewhere preferably outside the village to rest. I was far too tired to continue on and yet the voice of my brother told me to keep moving. Until I bumped into someone.
"Oh, I'm sorry!" I said quickly looking at who I'd just run into.
My eyes widen as a little gasp left my lips.
"It all right." He said gently.
"Gaara..." it sounded like a question from my lips. But the red hair that barely covered the tattoo symbol on his forehead just above his left eye, the dark red over garments and the sand gourd on his back left no wonder who he was.

He chuckled lightly. "Yes, but don't worry. I won't attack you."
"No, no! I didn't think that." I said waving my hand, "I'm sorry I was just shocked. Although perhaps I shouldn't be. I mean this is your home."
"Why are you in such a hurry?" He looked down at the scroll in my hand, then back into my eyes.
"A mission."
"From the Hokage?" He asked.
"From my brother....I know you're not aware of my life... but I'm after the eyes of my clan that were stolen from us many years back." I replied.
"And that scroll in your hands tells you where they are?" 
He's a curious man...I wonder why so many questions...
"Just a couple that may be here in the wind country." I confirmed.

"I see, and just you?" He pressed on.
"For now.."
"You seem to tired to go out about yourself."
"I'll be okay." I shifted to one foot then the other. He was right. I was far to tired to continue on.
"Please let me help... I understand you were a friend of Naruto's and he has helped me. So let me help you. Come stay with me, eat, and rest. Perhaps you can tell me a bit about your self. Then go on your way." He said with a half smile.
"That's kind of you. And yes I am friends with Naruto."
"Great then follow me."
He turned and began walking away.
"No I can't, I just mean it was kind of you to offer.." I began but he cut me off.
"Come Makota..."
He sounded demanding but still so gentle.
"Yeah.. alright."

————————————*————————————

After dinner, some small talk and good rest. I was having breakfast with Gaara the next morning, our conversation took me by surprise.
"I'll come with you. Help you retrieve the eyes."
He placed the dishes he just washed and dried away.
"Uh, why? You have no reason to do that.."
I stood from the table walking over to grab my bag.
"I'd like to help any way I can..." he walked to his room, coming out with his own bag in hand. "I've decided I want to protect but I'd like to go out on another mission before my decision takes place."
"I don't understand. What decision takes place? And why help me?"
"Your Naruto's friend, and I'd like to make up for what I did in your village at the chunin exams." He admitted.
"I see... your sand would come in handy. And I don't really want to be by myself." I took in a deep breath. "Alright." I breathed.
It would be nice having someone with me... I just wish I knew him a bit better before hand.
He gave a small smile then we shook on it and headed out.

————————————-*———————————-

The mission took about a week to finish. There were a total of two eyes that were located here in the wind country.
One was locked away in a safe of a mafia boss that was a little more troubling to get then the other. As for the second ones it was in possession of a man selling them. I didn't have the fund to buy them, so I was to wait till they had been sold and try to figure a way to obtain them. It was an older lady who had purchased them she said her friend used to have eyes like these. I told her my story, she handed them to me and wished me well... that interaction struck me.

We headed back to a village in the wind that was where my group and I were staying.
"You know you didn't have to walk here with me." I said.
"Yes I know. But I have enjoyed your company and your story's."
"Ah I see...." I lightly laughed. "Yes, well I to have enjoyed your company. And you are very skilled."
Once we made it into the village Gaara sat on a nearby bench.

I sat down beside Gaara, i've never really talked to Gaara before, till now nor have I worked with him. But this mission with him has brought great respect towards him. He protected me, helped me. I wondered if he thought the same about me, or what he thought about me at all.
"Thank you..." I said quickly.
"We were...are comrades, the difference in our villages shouldn't mean anything but how we can help each other." He replied.
"You very wise Gaara... you've changed a lot to..."
We remained quiet for some time, until Gaara spoke-

"I grew up with the one tail inside of me. I've always had it..." he said braking the silence
"People have always seen me as a monster..." he continued when I didn't answer.
"You know when I first met you, i don't know, I don't think I thought of you as a monster... but I knew you had a darkness in you.." I spoke softly.
He gave me a straight smile, his eyes soft.
"I grew up hating the world and looking out only for myself, I thought it would give my life meaning by killing anyone I came across."
"But?"
"But then I met Naruto..." he raised his chin to the sky, "he gave me another reason for my life."
"That Naruto...always helping others..."
"That's why we will help him when he needs it." Gaara added.
I nodded.

"What are you going to do now?" I asked him.
"Use my power to protect." A smile played on his lips.
"Protect what?"
I couldn't help but smile either. He'd come a long way. From trying to murder everyone to now protecting-
"My village.... My father was the Kazekage. So I'll strive to be that to."
The smile grew on my face. I placed my hand on his arm.
"I believe you in Gaara....." I said firmly.

"Makota, beware the darkness stirring inside you." He face serious.
"What do you mean?" I asked confused.
"I can feel it, during your mission. I could feel the darkness stirring. That power you used to get into peoples head...Just be careful." He said concerned.
I nodded. "I will..."