Chapter 13

The final course

The final course.

Luca stood up and cleared his throat ready to explain it. "The final course is called Egging. Two players stand 2 meters away from each other. One person gets an egg and then they throw the egg to the other person. If the person catches the egg then that person takes a step back. If the person doesn't catch the egg they lose. The people who get the furthest away from each other wins. But remember, the bigger steps you take the harder it will be to throw the egg. You have five minutes left and then it starts," Luca said and walked away.

"I'm not doing it," I exclaimed and Gavino frowned at me.

"I can't do it, you know how clumpsy I am," Carlo said and Noemi looked at me pleadingly. I shook my head and she sighed.

"Fine, I'll do it," she told us and Gavino narrowed his eyes at me.

"Sure."

Gavino and Noemi threw the egg and came out at 10 meters. We didn't know what the others had and everyone was nervous to hear the result.

Luca stood in front of everyone for the last time in the tournament and held a letter. "In fourth place we have team number... 1 with 12 points. Then in third place we have team 4 with 15 points. I'm now just going to say the first place. The team that one had 20 points and the team that came in second place had 15 points. The team that won was team number 2 containing Julieta, Gavino, Noemi and Carlo! Welcome to come get your price!"

Everyone cheered but I felt like I was drowning, everything felt and seemed distant. I felt a hand on my lower back push me against the front. A burning feeling spread from the hand and it was like I was alive again.

Gavino.

I pushed his hand away and walked towards Luca.

"Congratulations, how does it feel?" Luca asked Carlo and he was beaming with joy.

"Amazing," Carlo answered and I felt bad for him because he was so excited over a game.

"Did you have a good team?" Luca questioned and Carlo snorted.

"If I had a bad team we wouldn't be standing here, but Gavino and Julieta did almost everything so it's thanks to them. No offense Noemi," Carlo explained and Noemi shrugged.

"No offense taken." She seemed unbothered like I wanted to feel but with Gavino next to me I couldn't.

"Your prize is that you get to be the first people to take food for a week," Luca exclaimed and everyone cheered.

I faked a smile and then felt his breath against my neck. "We need to talk," he told me and I took a small step away from him.

"No, we don't," I said and he scoffed.

"Yes we do, let's go." Everyone started leaving and so we didn't. When everyone left I turned to him.

"What?"