Chapter 37

They say that the third stage of grief is bargaining

They say that the third stage of grief is bargaining. They were right.

I was determined to find a way to at least get Gavino's body. If he really was dead I wanted to bury him, he deserved that.

So a month after the memorial service I went to Samuel's office and entered without knocking.

He however was not alone this time, Enrico was sitting across from him and they looked up at me when I walked in.

"Julieta, could you wait a few minutes. We were just in the middle of something," Samuel said and I nodded.

I walked back out and stood outside the door.

That though allowed me to hear their conversation.

"What do you have in mind to fix this alliance?" Enrico asked and Samuel sighed.

"I don't know, I have nothing so far. Usually a marriage would be good, but I can't send Julieta off to someone now. Especially since it technically should be you," Samuel answered and I widened my eyes.

"Then we need to move back. We still own houses in Italy but it will take maybe three months to prepare everything so we can actually move back. We will of course not start a war with you and we will find a solution to this alliance but as of right now, you're in debt to us," Enrico explained and I was so confused.

Why were we in debt to them?

What had we done?

I heard some shuffling and then Enrico opened the door, he gave me a small smile and then walked past me and away.

I went in and sat down across from Samuel.

"What is it?" he asked and put some papers away.

"I have two things. First, the alliance is broken?" I exclaimed and Samuel sighed.

"So you heard us," he stated and I nodded.

"Yeah, I heard you. What do you mean?"

"Since it was a mission that we inisiated and the boss of their mafia was lost in the fight, we are in debt to them and the alliance is therefore broken. But we are working on it and we will fix it. Now what was the other thing?" he questioned and I shook my head.

"Oh, yeah right. I want to find their bodies. I think that they deserved to be buried or cremated," I said and Samuel widened his eyes.

"Well, we haven't found their bodies. We have found nothing really and that's the problem. There has been no word from the Russians at all so something is wrong but we can't seem to find them. When we do, they will of course be buried or cremated," Samuel explained and I frowned.

"But can't we send out men to find them?"

"And lose more people?"

"Okay fair," I said and Samuel nodded.