Chapter 35

They say that the first stage of grief is denial

They say that the first stage of grief is denial. They were right.

I spent days trying to figure out a clue or something that he was alive. It had been a week and I had nothing.

I don't think that I had cried that much ever before that week. I just kept crying.

I had talked to Samuel multiple times and tried to get him to talk to the Russians and find out what was happening.

But he was just gone. Samuel didn't talk to anyone, he was locked in his office and sometimes I could hear his cries.

I knew how he felt.

We were both going through the same thing, but I wasn't giving up.

Ilara and Gavino had to be alive, they couldn't have died.

I had called Gavino almost a hundred times and there was still no answer so something was obviously wrong.

But it seemed like everyone else had just accepted that they had died and I refused.

She was one of my best friends and he was my boyfriend, they couldn't just have died.

I was sitting downstairs in the living room alone.

I didn't know what everyone else was doing but I wasn't going to go and find out.

I needed to find evidence that they were alive and I wasn't going to believe that they had died until I saw a body.

Xavier entered the living room and sat down next to me. "How are you?" he asked and I shrugged.

"I'm okay, I guess. I know that Samuel is worse," I answered and he nodded.

"Yeah, Samuel's not so good," he said and I nodded too.

Xavier wasn't bad looking, with his blond curly hair he was actually kind of hot.

But he was Samuel's best friend and I had a boyfriend.

"Do they know anything?" he questioned and I shook my head.

"No, we haven't heard anything," I responded and he sighed.

"That sucks, but I don't think that Gavino would go down without a fight," Xavier told me and I smiled vaguely.

"Neither do I."

~~~~

Another week passed without a word but i just couldn't grasp that he was dead.

He couldn't be dead.

I had been hanging out with Xavier a little for a while.

Everyone was just walking around on eggshells around me but with Xavier I could just relax and think about other things.

I was sitting in the kitchen with Xavier and Luca. We were eating burgers that Luca had made.

"What did you put in these burgers Luca?" Xavier asked and Luca glared at him.