Fourth

• Angelina's POV •

Thinking about that moment at the gazebo, I remembered the exact moment I fell for Jeremiah. The fact that after all these years he was finally starting to see me the way I saw him was surreal to me.

"That's one of my favorite memories." I told Conrad.

"Me too."

"What made you think of that, Con?" I asked.

He smiled to himself. "Lately I've just been thinking about memories I wish I could go back to. Like when times were easier."

He paused before he said, "You're in so many of them."

"That's because I'm your favorite person, lover boy." I teased him and nudged him with my arm.

He chuckled and wrapped that arm around me. "Always will be."

"We have all the time in the world to create new memories though," I thought about the fact that he was planning on schooling in New York. "Once you get to New York, we'll do everything together."

I felt him tense up. I looked up at him and saw his smile fade as he looked ahead.

"You're still coming to New York right?" I asked.

"I don't even know if I wanna go to college anymore."

This news was jarring. Conrad always wanted to go to college. He'd always kept his grades up, participated in clubs, tried his hardest in football and everything. If there was anyone that SHOULD go to college it's Conrad.

His behavior this summer was starting to scare me. He didn't seem like he was okay anymore.

"What? First football, now this? Connie, what's going on?"

He stopped and retracted his arm from around me.

"Lina," he started but within the next moment his jaw started to shake. He gasped for air and his mouth shut tight before he made a whimpering sound. He grasped at his chest and began hyperventilating and that's when it set in what was happening.

I pulled him down to the sand, knowing that being in a sitting position helps calm someone when they're going through this.

"Breathe, Conrad, slowly," I urged him. "In then out. In then out. Follow my movements."

He began to shakily take deep breaths with me. I saw a few tears escape his eyes as he did so and had to fight myself to not reach out and wipe them away. I knew that it wasn't wise to abruptly touch someone who's having a panic attack.

Finally after a long few minutes, his shaking lessened and he began to breathe normally. We sat in silence and for the first time it wasn't comfortable, but I knew I wouldn't leave him. Even if he didn't explain why he had it or what was wrong, I wouldn't leave.

"I'm sorry." He finally said.

"For what?" I asked as I wiped at the tears I'd been waiting to clear from his face. Yet they still dropped as he looked at me with his ocean blue eyes.

His legs were brought up against his chest, with his chin resting on his knees. When he looked at me, the light that I always saw in his eyes was gone. There was now sadness and remorse. Remorse for what? I had no idea.

"I know I've been distant this summer and I never wanna be distant from you." He said, his voice cracking.

"I don't know what it is, but I figure you have a good reason." I told him truthfully.

He looked at me like he wanted to say something, but nothing ever came from his mouth.

"How long have you been having panic attacks? Or is this the first?" I asked him the question that was on my mind the minute it started.