Understanding

• Angelina •

Back at the house, Susannah and Laurel prepared for dinner while all the kids banded together to teach my dad how to play Brawlhalla. He was really bad at it, but he played with us just for the fun of it.

We put him up against Belly since they were the two worst players and they actually had a really good match once they both got into the swing of using their characters. Belly beat my dad by just a stock and he screamed for a rematch, causing them to shit talk each other.

Also I thought it was heartwarming watching my dad interact with Jeremiah again. They banded together to tease me at times and it started to feel like we were in Highland again. Just with extra company.

The two adult women called everyone to the table once the food was finished making.

"Before we begin, I'd like to make a toast to Angelina who did amazing in her showcase tonight," Susannah said as she stood at the head of the table. "You really wowed us tonight. I couldn't prouder."

"Agreed." My father said from next to her.

We clinked drinks with the person next to us, my drink colliding with Jeremiah and Steven's since I was in the middle of them two.

"I can't believe you raised almost $10,000." Laurel said in awe. "That's talent. The other girls at the ball won't be able to compare."

"Wow, thanks, Mom." Belly said sarcastically.

"You did good too, Belly button." She comforted her daughter.

I got a notification on my phone and checked to see that $500 had been deposited into my bank account. I smiled to myself and turned my phone back off.

"Why you so smiley?" Jeremiah asked quietly from beside me.

"I can't be happy?" I asked.

"I'm not the one who made you smile, so no." He flirted with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes playfully though I could feel the butterflies coursing through my tummy.

"I'll keep that in mind next time I see you smiling at your phone."

Steven leaned in and whispered to us. "I'm trying to eat, so if you could chill with the vomit inducing flirting, that would be much appreciated."

I kicked his shin causing him to groan in pain.

~

After dinner, my dad and I walked to the backyard so that he could finally talk to me. I felt my anxiety creep up once again and had to calm myself down as we sat in the lounge chairs.

"What's so important that we needed to talk about, Dad?" I asked him.

He sighed. "I don't want you to hate me."

"I could never." I assured him.

He's my father, whatever is wrong, I'm sure we'll get through it together.

"I cheated on your mother and now she's divorcing me." He said way too fast for me to comprehend at first.

I sat there in shock, not knowing what to say next. How could he? And why would he fly all the way to Cousins just to tell me this?