Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Caught

         For five days, I defied my heart and dared not to listen. 

         I don’t want to talk to him. I am irritated. I don’t want to see him. But I want to smell him. I want to get close to him. My senses craved for him. And it irritates me even more. This is another clear manifestation that you have been deceived, Asia, but you are still acting like a fool.

         Angela gave hints and Vance’s family confirmed it. Hindi ba bata pa lang naman kayo, sila na ang pinagkasundo ni Don Narciso Vivero? Why, it took more than a decade to fulfil that!

         “Mommy, sa labas ulit matutulog si Mr. Vivero?” si Hance.

         “He wants to sleep there, baby.”

         Yaya Yoli lets him in our house. I let him eat with us. Have dinner with us even after the arguments we had. I lashed out at him. But after I raised the issue, I went back to that cold demeanor again.

         If he had a conscience, he could have packed his things and waited until we have our divorce papers so he could marry whomever he was bound to marry.

         “Pero baka lamukin siya sa labas, Asia?” Si Yaya Yoli. “Kawawa naman si pogi.”

Napatingin ako kay Yaya. She raised a peace sign. “Oops. Hehe.”

         Hance and I watched sci-fi movies while he was telling me how his days went. I explained to him his assignments, specifically the hard ones. When it’s time to sleep, Vance knows what he must do – to sleep at the hammock.

         I wasn’t that uncaring or cruel, I let Yaya Yoli gave him a blanket and pillow.

         “I want your things packed first thing in the morning.” Unflinching, that’s what I told him.

         “Hindi ako papayag, Asia.”

         “This is my house,” I said sternly.

         I saw how he clenched his teeth and his jaw moved in controlled madness. Then he nodded. He agreed.

         “I’ll stay at the car tonight then. And no, I am not moving until we have a talk. A decent talk, Asia.”

         It was cruel.. Pero masisisi ba niya ako?

         Sinilip ko ang kan’yang kotse sa tapat ng bahay. Naninikip ang dibdib ko. But I couldn’t just take him when we already know where this is leading us.

         That’s the press, the media. What’s the essence of journalism if it’s not factual and authentic? Hindi pwedeng maglabas ng ganoon ang pamilya niya at ni Angela, kung wala talagang engagement ang nangyari sa pagitan nila. Without his consent for that matter.

         Okay, Asia. You have to keep your calm. You have to remember the deal so it wouldn’t hurt more. Pero hindi ang sarili ko ang inaalala ko, kung hindi ay si Hance. He will get caught in all of these.

         I was greeted by vomit first thing in the morning. Iyon ang nagpagising sa akin. Naghilamos ako ng mukha. It’s only five in the morning. Hindi pa tuluyang sumisikat ang araw. Dinig na dinig din ang nakakahalinang tunog ng baybayin. But the nausea hinders me to have a ‘good’ morning.

         Dumiretso na ako sa kusina pagkatapos kong maghilamos. And I was startled when I caught him there. May mga paperbags na naroon sa counter. Those were probably groceries. Kailan niya binili ang mga iyon?