Chapter 43

Chapter 43 

Ring 

We dropped Hance off his school before we decided to visit an OB-Gyn. And our hunch confirmed when the result was handed to us followed by congratulations. His expression told me one thing and it flashed the moment he felt my belly. It was the first time that I have seen him smile just like that. His dimple showed. His eyes smiled. 

I am pregnant. The confirmation once again echoed. Dinama ko ang kamay niyang nasa ibabaw ng aking tiyan. 

“Kaya ba nating palakihin ang dalawang bata?” 

“Kakayanin nating magkasama,” he said reassuringly. 

Me - being pregnant, means another routine. Hindi pa namin nasasabi iyon kay Hance and we opted to tell him about the big news when we go to Jake’s farm. We scheduled it in the next family day. 

Vance almost do our work. Konti na lang ay huwag na niya akong payagang magtrabaho because the doctor said that the first trimester will be sensitive. Nagising ako ng madaling-araw nang maramdaman ko ang mainit niyang palad sa aking tiyan.  

“What do you want to eat?” 

“Any fruit combination,” I answered with a shrug.

Though, weird fruit combinations, sa panlasa ko ay sobrang sarap. It was satisfying. Vance looked at me in amusement. In a short period of time, he changed the dynamics of a usual household get-up and routine. He said it wasn’t more of an obligation, but he’s enjoying when he does things for me and the family. Si Yaya Yoli nga nawiwili na sa kan’ya at kung ituring niya si Vance ay parang anak na niya. 

“How are you feeling?” He would often ask that every morning. And it became his routine to kiss my belly the moment he goes to sleep and the first thing he does in the morning. Minsan, nagseselos na ako sa tiyan ko. I smiled at that thought. 

“Sleepy.” I yawned and I hugged his pillow. Lately, nawiwili na ako sa amoy niya, particular the smell of his pillow. 

He reached for my chin and planted a swift kiss on my lips. Akala ko nga lalabas na siya pagkatapos ng halik pero nakatayo pa rin sa gilid ng kama. Then in a quite exited voice, “Can we..uh.. shop for the baby?” 

“Vance, magda-dalawang buwan pa lang ang nasa tiyan ko.” I almost laughed. “It’s too early to buy for baby’s things.” 

“Wala namang masama kung.. gawin na natin ngayon, right?” 

Napailing na lang ako at napangiti. Bago namin sinundo si Hance, pinagbigyan ko rin siya sa gusto niya. Though, sinabi kong magtitingin na lang muna at hindi pa bibili dahil dalawang buwan pa lang naman ang tiyan ko. 

I know that pregnancy is a hard phase, or probably one of the hardest phases moms-to-be ever face. Dahil hindi lang naman ang actual na pagbubuntis ang mahirap doon, the days that come after. The overthinking.. The silent cries and the thoughts that come after giving birth – it’s raising the child. 

Those were my fears when I was pregnant with our first born. Pero ngayon na nandito siya, that he’s doing all these things – everything that he had not experienced in his childhood. Everything that he hadn’t felt when he was young, he’s giving it to our children. I never thought that Vance can be a father. 

His enthusiasm was over the moon. I could have guessed that he was waiting for this to happen. Ilang oras ang itinagal namin sa mall, particularly in the baby’s section. Sinundo na namin nang sabay si Hance nang matapos kaming tumingin sa mall. The smile I have noticed on Hance’s face when he saw us together – noon ako lang ang sumusundo sa kan’ya. Iba ang excitement ng bata kapag uuwi na siya dahil sa labas ng gate ay may dalawang taong susundo sa kan’ya na dati ay ako lang.