Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Choices 

Only time can tell.

If we rushed the time when we were young, we are going to take it slow now that we are growing old. Hinawi ko ang hibla ng buhok na tumatabing sa kaniyang mukha. I memorized his features well.

The nose.. the brows.. the tanned skin.. ang kaniyang mukhang palaging nanghahamok ng away noon.

It felt like that had been his greatest armor. Then I pressed my nose on his cheek, trying to breathe him all in. I would miss him on nights like this.

Our baby is going to miss him too. But I will trust him. I have that place in him, lumipas man ang ilang taon.

"I hope you follow us there, as you promised."

I never had enough time to say goodbye.. or was that really goodbye?

Pinipili kong intindihin ang rason niyang magpaiwan.

However, it was just too painful to watch that Hance had learned to love him that much, kahit hindi man niya ito lantarang pinapakita minsan. Our son had learned to express his love in his subtle ways.

"Do you promise?" Hance asked his father.

Tumango si Vance at niyakap nang mahigpit ang anak. "Take care of mommy and our Little Vivero, okay?"

"Okay... Daddy."

I no longer remember the details of how we landed in another State or how we left the Philippines. I was looking through the window until the island became a blur.. until we could no longer reach him.

"Mommy, susunod agad si Daddy? Nag-promise naman siya na susunod siya kaagad, hindi ba? I am going to introduce him to my cousins!" Hance expressed his excitement.

Nakagawa na rin siya ng itinerary sa kaniyang utak. It was a good thing that he wasn't affected by the chaos that we went through in the country that we came from. In the States, we started all over again.. even if Vance wasn't there.

"Soon, mommy, right?"

I nodded. "Hindi matatagalan si Mr. Vivero. Malay mo, paggising natin isang araw, nandiyan na siya."

It's not just me who puts trust in Vance. Hance also trusts him. We put our trust in him. Siya na rin ang bagong favourite ni Yaya Yoli.

When the place had already suffocated our home, I had to make a choice.. We couldn't afford to crumble what was left in our supposed home. Masyadong naging maingay at hindi na naging kontrolado. There were things that went out of my control; the Viveros' assumptions and judgments, Bren Vivero's tactless acts, the mother in Angela Mejia's desperation, and everything that I left back there.

They are supposed to be left there.

Choices are made every single day. Even the smallest things that we do require choices that we have to make.

My choice is to protect my family.

It was painful. Painful to take a step. Painful to watch us drift.

However, that's what we both need. Kailangan namin iyon pareho.

"Mommy, look at the camera!" Hance said with his wide smile.

"When did you learn to use that?"

"Hmm, just now? It's tita's gift, mom."

Hance almost captured all our first steps. All our adjustments in the new environment that we are in. I could guess that he's doing all that to show that to his father.