Chapter 2: 40 Million Reasons

Keira's POV
Real estate is growing in Marseilles. I have teamed up with two other developers to set up luxurious apartments along the Riviera. Our project needs an architect.

I know an architect and I want him on the project. I want Nick. To make sure he gets the job, I pay off the interviewers to dismiss every other applicant as I wait on Athena to use her common sense and get her cousin to come to Marseilles.

I know Athena from her wedding. I also know she's on the design team and I purposely asked one of the interviewers to let her know of the opening for an architect.

I hope my plans work.

I badly want to help Nick get back on his feet. If he has nothing to do, his idle mind will take him back to whiskey. I don't want him to find out of my involvement.

Four years later and I am still thinking about him. He's like a sweet dream that often culminates to a nightmare when Theo gets involved.

I often wonder if things would have been better if I held on and fought for him. My life isn't a mess, it is picture perfect. I have everything money can buy, a husband who treats me like a queen and two lovely children. The only thing I don't have is the man I love.

It seems we have both moved on.

He isn't back to Bale Industries or the Balotelli Winery. He has started his own company solely specialized in architecture. It's a young company and like many startups, it's struggling. I have seen his work and I make it a point to keep up with everything about him.

"Here we go." My assistant presented me with the forms I have been waiting to sign. Among them is my check book.

I opened it to the check for 40 million. I owe him 40 million and I'm now in a position to pay him back. It has n ver left my mind sinc he reminded me that he has 40 million reasons to demand whatever he wants from me. It was a hurtful things to say but then a debt is a debt.

I put my signature on it.

"How is it that you're giving away 40 mil? Are you crazy?"

"I'm not giving it away. I'm paying a debt." I informed him.

For a long time talking about Nick was hard but as time has gone by, I have healed enough to want to talk about him. The problem is that I don't have anyone to talk to. Bea would have been a good choice but she hasn't spoken to me in almost four years. She's still upset about our children not being friends.

"Care to tell me the story behind it?"

"Back when we were bankrupt, Nick loaned my father 40 mil. It was surprisingly generous of him."

"Generous with strings attached. You."

"It didn't matter why he gave us the money. We made use if it. By the time my father passed away, all our debts were settled."

"It's thoughtful to give it back especially when it wasn't given to you. Is it Monsieur's money?"

I laughed at how he sarcastically calls Theo Monsieur. Everyone calls him that. Not once do I hear anyone around us call him Theo or even Sinclair. He is feared. The man who massages my feet and has tea parties with Marcella is feared.

"No, it's not Theo's. The money I've put in is my hard earned money from Cruise De Marina. I haven't taken a pay check in forty eight months. Now I can afford to pay him back. Can you personally deliver this?"

He nodded.

I glanced out at the sunny afternoon my eyes set on the Riviera. It is a beautiful day but even in the sunniest days I find myself gloomy. If I smile it is brief. A huge part of me died; that part that cared about people and found contentment in the little things. These days, I am just an empty void.