Chapter 48: The Godfather

Mancini's POV
My father is dying.

The thought of it and my inability to get close to him is breaking my heart. I feel like my own will give out too.

My eyes moved away from the beautiful blue of the sea. It's a perfect day to be out there but a stormy day in my household. The reflection of Russo through the window snapped my mind out of it's negative thoughts.

"Where is he?"

"Right outside Signore."

"And Louisa?" I asked about my wife.

"Out shopping with her friends. I believe her plans are to fly to Rome later in the afternoon."

"Russo, you have served me since I became the godfather. Tell me my friend, what is to be done with a treacherous woman?"

"I believe you will make the right decision. But in my opinion, there is no room for any form of treachery in our world."

My eyes rested on the gold band on my finger. It breaks my heart to agree with Russo. One kind of treachery can easily open the door to another.

"Bring him in." I turned away and took a seat. Balotelli strolled in with his usual frown. When he asked for my help to find his children, I was tempted to take them from him. I wanted leverage. He is a hard man to control, especially because of Don Giovanni's affection for him. "Balotelli. What did I say about owning you?"

The defiance in his blue eyes infuriates me. I find myself restricted in teaching him hard lessons. If this was any other person, I wouldn't entertain the wild look in his eyes.

"You don't own me."

"Hmmm... Russo." He kicked his knees in forcing him down on his knees. I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my things. "What did you say?"

"If you call, I show up."

"I called... and called... and called. You never came. Why is that? Are you deaf? Russo, can you check if his ears work?"

Russo got out his knife. When the cold metal met his ear, I saw the fear in his eyes. "They work. I had an emergency. I couldn't come."

"What emergency?" I asked him.

"My daughter was hit by a car."

"Marcella or Madeline?" I asked.

"Marcella."

"Is she alright?"

"Yes."

"I understand that you wanted to be there. But you need to understand that the mafia comes first. I believe Marcella has a mother who would have attended to her. This is the last time I call and you don't answer. Get up."

He stood up as I did as well.

"I have a job for you."

"What do you need?"

"I want you to catch my wife in her treachery." I informed him. Louisa is a cunning woman. My intuition tells me she is cheating on me but I have no proof because she is that good.

"Signore Mancini, I have a full time job in Manhattan, a family in Saint Tropez. How the hell am I supposed to get time to watch your wife?"

"That is not my problem." I straight the collar of his jacket. "Make it work. You have a month to give me results."

"Why me? You have a whole army of men at your disposal. Why me?"

"Because it takes a thief to catch another thief... a man like you catches a woman like her."