Chapter 53: Love Should Die

Mancini's POV
"Whatever it is, ask."

Bianchi cleared his throat. "I'm just curious what will happen if you run into Balotelli."

"What do you suppose will happen? Perhaps I'll hide. Or run away. Is that it?"

He laughed nervously. "I'm not... I didn't mean that."

"I don't care about his feelings. I do what I want." The elevator doors opened up on the floor she's in.

I was troubled when I heard about the bomb. She has been on my mind since. I wanted to come by earlier but I didn't want to run into anyone who knows me. This odd hour is better.

"Good morning."

The nurse looked up and broke into a smile. "Good morning sir. How can I help you?"

"I want to ask something of a favor from you. I know it's 3am in the morning and visiting hours are not close. I want to see a patient in your care. Will you allow me to?"

"Sir-"

"Please." I asked softly, touching her hand gently. "I haven't seen her in a while and I'm worried. Please."

She looked left and then right. "The head nurse is going to say no."

"I'll be so quiet she won't even know I'm in there." I assured her.

"I suppose I can grant you the visit. Who are you seeing?"

"Keira Ballard."

"You are actually quite fortunate. She has been having trouble sleeping in the early morning hours. Go on inside. That's her room." She pointed. "If you are caught -"

"I sneaked in. I won't say you allowed me to see her. Thank you." I squeezed her hand and went on my way.

When I reached the door, Russo handed over the large bouquet of flowers. As soon as I opened the door, I caught sight of her. I can't begin to describe how my heart explodes with emotion when I see her. It's almost like I'm paralyzed yet my heart is racing.

"Tom."

"Beauty. I'm so sorry." I approached her. "I should have been here sooner."

"I'm happy to see you." She smiled.

Her beautiful face is bruised. Poor thing has been through a lot. I asked Russo to look into the bombing. I want blood for this.

I kissed her cheek tenderly. I presented the bouquet of flowers. "They are lovely! Thank you!"

The room is full of flowers.

"I'll add them to the rest." I took them from her and found a place for them by the window. "How are you feeling?"

"Exhausted. In pain. They can't give me any more painkillers, they said." She chuckled softly. "I'm really happy you're here. I was just thinking about you... about what you asked from me in Fiji." I took her hand, massaging it softly. "I almost died. This is my fourth dance with death."

"Fourth?"

"Yes. They say nine lives, right? So five more to go?"

"Don't talk like that. Tell me about the other four."

"The first time was when I was pushed off a cliff and into the ocean. Sinclair saved me. The second time was when my husband beat me up  so badly he almost killed me. He wrapped me up in a carpet. He was going to get rid of me. Nickolas found me. The third time was when I suffered an aneurysm and got to hospital just in time. And now this..." She sighed. "I have been trying to think of anyone who would want to hurt me. I can't think of anyone."