Chapter 60: The Cake

Marcella's POV
There is yelling.

I don't like yelling. I tried to pull the blanket over my head but it didn't stop. Mommy's bedroom is next to mine. It feels like it is coming from the walls. I got out of my bed and pressed my ear against the wall. It is louder but I can't hear them clearly.

Grabbing my yellow bunny I sneaked out of my room. The hallway is dark. In my room I have my bed side lamp on. I don't like darkness. Marcelle isn't sharing a room with me because he is with Terrence. Scotty is with Aidan. Maddie said she wants her own room. Mommy said as long as the night light is on I'll be fine.

I crossed over to Marcelle's room.

I tried to wake him but my brother ignored me.

I decided to try my big sister.

"Maddie, mommy and daddy are fighting."

"Just put a pillow over your head." She told me with her eyes closed. "Go back to bed."

I can't. I sat at the foot of her bed listening to the yelling getting louder. It's mostly daddy.

"Come on. I'll show you how this is done." Madeline took my hand.

With her I feel safe. She is braver than me. I followed after her as she knocked on the door. We stared and waited. The yelling stopped suddenly. Daddy opened the door. He is really tall and he looks especially scary. I hid my face behind my yellow bunny.

"What?" He snapped at us.

"You're keeping us awake. Keep it down!" Madeline is just as fierce as daddy.

She marched off leaving me there. I noticed daddy was about go reprimand her so I caught his thigh. He looked down and I smiled at him.

Mommy tells me my smile will heal the world. It is my super power. He frowned at first, bit his lip then smiled but only for a short while.

"I'm sorry we woke the two of you. Come on. I'll take you back to bed."

He carried me in his arms where i feel safest and as we went to my room, I saw mommy in the hallway with tears in her eyes. I feel bad for her that my eyes also teared up.

"There you go." He put me on the bed and covered me.

"Why are you fighting with mommy?"

"It is just a misunderstanding. We will sort it out. Sleep principessa." He kissed my head. "I love you."

"I love you too."

He left my room and with the silence, I slowly closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Madeline's POV
"I know you're not asleep."

I grumbled quietly. I knew my outburst wouldn't go unpunished. I shoved my blanket aside and sat up, ready for a battle.

"Do you know why I'm not asleep daddy? Because Marcella woke me. Do you know why Marcella woke me up? Because you and Keira woke her up!" I threw my hands in the air falling back on my pillow and kicking my legs repeatedly in frustration. "I love my sleep!"

Daddy coupsay anything. He looked at me for a good couple of seconds and then entered my room.

"I'm sorry I woke you." He apologized. "Things got out of hand. I didn't know we were that loud."

I didn't expect him to apologize. He has been very sad lately and irritable. Everyone is sad except for Marcella who smiles too much in my opinion. If I believed in aliens I would think she's one of them.

"Why are you two fighting?" I sat back up to look at my father.

"She wants to take the twins back to France."