Chapter Twenty Eight: Day Two: Good Morning

Nick's POV
I have always wanted a son.

When Margaux was pregnant, I badly wanted it to be a boy. When it didn't turn out the way I had hoped, I still loved my daughter. When my marriage didn't work out, I accepted knowing it will only be Maddie. When Keira told me she cannot get pregnant, I was disappointed because it meant my hopes of having more kids had burned out.

This photograph of my son and my daughter shatterrs my heart. It's not just because she lied but because the man in the photograph stole every moment meant for me and she helped him.

"Good morning sunshine!" Athena sang. My eyes are glued to the photograph. His eyes are her colour and so is his hair but his face is mine. She looks like a Bale. They hid this because they knew I would catch on fast. "I didn't know you own designer shoes?... Balenciaga. Wow."

"What?" I asked her.

She waved the black heeled shoes at me. "Whose?"

"Kei's."

Her eyes widened a little. "Kei? She is here." She lowered her voice. I pointed at the bedroom door straight ahead.

I haven't gotten any sleep. After seeing the photograph, I wanted to wake her and ask her but she was out like a bulb. I wanted to drive over to the chateau and question Theo but I could not. I sat quietly at the breakfast table, looking at the twins and slowly boiling in rage.

"You brought your lover home. Your daughter hates her!"

"Athena, Maddie's feelings are not important right now. I have bigger problems."

"What could be more important than your daughter's feelings?"

I pushed the photograph across the table. "That."

She slowly sat down when realization hit her as hard as it had hit me. "So this is why she hides them. It's undeniable... the resemblance is undeniable... the girl... she is a total Bale. Blonde, blue eyes..  No lies. There is a slight resemblance to Maddie. The boy is a perfect relica of you." She raised her eyes to look at me. "Oh Nick... All this time... What will you do?"

I ran my hands over my face. "I don't know. Four years Athena. Four years. She kept it from me for four years. She married him knowing they are mine. I don't know how to react. I'm still in shock."

"This is big! How are you so composed? I would be causing chaos all over? I would be in there on her case like right now! I'm going in there!"

She got up and she did not need to reach the door because Kei opened it. At the same time Maddie came out of her room. Kei hasn't noticed Maddie. She is far too sleepy. She must have stumbled out of bed quickly.

Athena stepped back, giving her room. Her beautiful face looks exhausted. Her eyes droopy with sleep. I regret helping her throw up. She should gave woken up with the migraine and hangover of a century. She deserves that and much worse.

"Nick... how did I get here?" She asked me. "Where are Leen and Lorraine?"

"Have a sit." I pointed to a chair on the kitchen table.

She turned sideways, meeting Athena's glare and Maddie's surprised face. "I'm sorry, how rude. Good morning."

Athena scoffed.

"What are you doing here?" Maddie asked her. Her blue eyes turned to me. "Daddy, what is she doing here?"

"I'm just visiting." She answered.

"I'm not talking to you." Maddie lashed out.

"Piccola,, go to your room." I told her. "Now."

She reluctantly left.