Chapter 59: His Lie, My Truth

Marianna's POV
It's the eighth day since Gio's death. It's almost a quiet Sunday morning with the exception of the two English boys wrestling in the backyard. Tony assures me it's something they always do.

I don't recall ever waking up this early on a Sunday. Gio was always up early on Sundays. He went to mass and cane back at around 11am. He would make me afternoon breakfast and the two of us would eat while he told me funny stories about his childhood.

This morning when I woke up, the kitchen only had maids. There was no Gio. It's funny how we take the normal things in our lives for granted. Now that I'll never have Sunday afternoon breakfast with him again, I regret not savouring those moments.

The only company I have now is Nate and as much as he's trying to keep me company, he's not Gio.

"I was thinking we should leave for a long vacay."

"Hmmm?"

"Vacation. I want to go for a long vacation."

"Where would you like to go?"

"Somewhere I haven't been. Give me ideas."

"The north pole?" It took us both a moment before we laughed. "I can't guess anywhere you haven't been agapi mou."

"Think of some place and we can go. I need a break."

"I'll do that. Just us two?"

"Yes." I am going to do what Gio asked. No more casual encounters with Nate. I'll take it seriously and see where it goes.

We both faced forward at the entrance to the kitchen. Keira is walking in, holding Marcella's hand. Keira looks like she will pop any time.

"Good morning." She came over and kissed my cheek. "Good morning Mr Bale."

"Mr Bale?" My eyes bulged. Nate also looks surprised. "Just call him Nate."

"That's weird." She laughed softly. "He's old enough to be my father."

"You called Gio by his name." I countered.

"Because he insisted."

"Nate please insist that she calls you Nate."

"Mr Bale is just fine." He continued reading his book. I paid attention to the little blonde. She has a mischievous smile. Marcella us always looking for someone to play with and if you give her a second she will take up your whole day.

"Buongiorno Marcella."

She gave me an uncertain look and tugged her mother. "What did she say?"

"I think it's good morning. Repeat it."

"Bu...gi... what?" She s watched her head.

"Kalimera Marcella." Nate thew in some Greek.

"Bonjour!" Marcella decided to also speak what she knows.

It only shows how much culture she is exposed to. She took more interest in Nate and went to him. Just like that Nate will be trapped with the playful little girl until she gets bored. She's the prettiest thing. I wish I had a daughter. When Nick leaves, I'll probably see him before in a year. Boys are not that caring.

"When are you due? You are... enormous!"

"About two weeks, give or take. I'm really exhausted."

"Where are you planning to give birth?" I asked her.

Two weeks is a very short time.

"Uh... Home would be great."

"Can you make the trip?" I asked her. "Wait, how did you get here? I hope you didn't fly."