Chapter Twenty Nine: Trapped and Gone

Keira's POV
Silence.

Loud deafening silence.

That is all I'm hearing from Nick. This is not what I expected. This is not the reaction I was counting on.

Theo is also quiet.

It's like the calm just before a storm. It's like the moment of peace before two warring sides break into violent conflict. My only concern is how my children will fare through this.

"He had to know Kei." Leen told me. "Sometimes it's better to rip the band-aid off and get it over with."

I'm grateful she ripped the band-aid. I couldn't bare to tell Nickolas. I just couldn't.

"I want to hate you for it, but I understand why you did it. You helped me do it." I gazed at her. "You are a good friend Leen."

She shrugged with a small smile. "Honestly I came here expecting to be fired."

"Petty is not my favorite color. A girl needs a friend like you. I hope this friendship will continue. I promise there are no more band-aids left to rip." She laughed sofly. "The time has come for me to leave the company. Everything is in order. In case of anything you can call me."

"Where are you going?"

"I have filled for a divorce. I'm moving out with the kids."

"And Theo will just let you go?"

"Of course not. But I have to try. Otherwise he will never allow Nick to meet his children."

She caught my wrist. "If you need help with Theo, call me. Okay? I'll come running."

I gave her a hug. Words cannot express how I feel about her.

Walking away from the company was a hard decision to make but I want to give most of my attention to the twins. I have to compensate for Theo's absence because it will hit them hard. This is the father they know. Not Nick.

I told Nick that I will intervene if anything he does is not in the best interest of the twins. They don't know him. Marcella may be accepting of a new reality but Marcelle is a different story. He loves Theo. I strongly believe that hearing Theo's voice repeatedly when he was fighting to hold on after he was born could have forged a love that won't break. Theo was with him all through, spending sleepless nights just to nurse him back to health. When I think about that, it breaks my heart to separate them. Nick won't share his son.

"Take care." I told her.

"You too hon. I'm a phonecall away."

*
From the moment Theo brought me here, the chateau became home. We have made many memories here. We have been happy here. It was the first place I found comforting after leaving my father's house. It has been home since.

It saddens me that today is the last day I'll be in this house. I cannot stay any longer after coming clean. The lack of response from him is alarming. Theo always has something to say.

"Mrs Sinclair, why are you leaving us?" Margarit asked me in a sad tone.

She was there when I was packing to move here. She's here, packing to see me off. She has always been good to me.

"Because it's over."

"It's sad. The chateau will lose all the life you brought to it. Isn't there anything that can be done to keep you here?"

"No."

"Is it the boy's father? The man they call Nick?"

"What?" I looked at her with surprise in my eyes. I don't mention my personal life to anyone but those close to me. I'm still selective of who I tell my deepest truths.