Chapter 54: The Hospital

Nick's POV
My grandfather is fond of saying that nothing brings people together like tragedy. As soon as my friends heard about the bombing,they flew to Marseilles. Bruce, Ferrer and Tony are all here. I didn't expect it. In a way, it's fortifying. Even Helena dropped her busy schedule to be here.

"Have you spoken to him?" Ferrer asked me.

Theo wasn't here when I arrived. I haven't said anything to him since the phone call.

"No."

"It doesn't get more awkward than this." Ferrer noted. "Cole is in there. And you have to talk to your ex girlfriend's ex husband. It's a soap opera!"

Bruce delivered a firm smack to the back of his head. One look from the sharp green eyes and Ferrer zipped it. It gave us a light moment of laughter.

The only person we are missing is Cole. He doesn't remember us. I wonder how true that is. From our last encounter, I couldn't help but feel that he has deep-seated hate for me. That has to come from bad past experiences. That means he probably remembers me.

"Was it a mafia hit?" Tony whispered.

"No. Of course not. Why Leen?"

"Why not Kei?" He countered. "It was her office. Not to forget the last time? In New York? The godfather wanted you to play ball and he used Kei."

"It's really sad that you enjoy a vacation in Fiji only to fome back to die." Ferrer went on.

"Fiji?" This is the second name and m hearing that name. Mancini said that Fiji was quite addictive and hard to leave. "When was Kei in Fiji?"

"Uh... I saw her close to the end of summer." Ferr shrugged.

The timing is right. They were both there at the same time.

"Who was she with?" I questioned.

"Some older guy. I didn't get close."

Mancini.

"Was it a mafia hit?" Bruce asked me.

"Something tells me the mafia has nothing against Kei. It has to be someone else. Maybe Leen."

"Leen isn't a cup of tea but I doubt she has pissed someone off that badly!" Tony shrugged.

"What about you Nick?" Ferrer asked me. "Who have you pissed off?"

"The list is overwhelming." I answered.

"I hear Leen is pregnant." Ferrer told us.

We looked at him like he is mad. "Are you gossiping with the nurses?" Tony asked him.

"She is the one who told me. I just listened. It's Theo's. Speak of the devil."

We all looked in the direction of the elevator.

Theo hesitated when he saw us. We had a weird stand off. He isn't moving and neither are we. We are out here because Cole is in the waiting room and it will be really awkward. Now Theo is out here.

"Mate, be the bigger person. He carried Kei out of a collapsing building. Go." Tony whispered.

I took the first step and it must have encouraged Theo to move in my direction. I have my differences with him but I know better than anyone that the stubbornness needs to end. He saved Kei twice. From the sea and now from fire.

"Hey man." I greeted him as we exchange a fist bump. "Shitty day, huh?"

"You have no idea." He shrugged. "Have you seen her?"

"She got out of surgery a few minutes ago. The doctor has asked us to wait a bit longer to see her."

"Did the surgery work out?"