Chapter 25: An Unlikely Ally

Keira's POV
The rate at which my heart is racing is unusual. It's lightning fast. I'm fighting the natural need to express my panic. Sitting calmly in a hospital reception room is becoming one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

This afternoon, Theo dropped in at the company. He asked me to accompany him somewhere. He did not say where until he drove to a hospital. Thinking someone was sick or perhaps he was unwell, I accompanied him inside. Everything was normal as we waited. He just wasn't talking to me.

When we ended up seeing a gynaecologist, it hit me. He has run some tests on both of us. Theo expressed concern that I'm not getting pregnant. He wants to know who the problem is.

I'm hoping it's him even when I know I'm faithfully taking my pills. I hide them well so that he never sees them. A year ago, if he asked me to have his baby, I would probably have agreed. But the time to hope we will work is long passed.

"Mr and Mrs Sinclair."

We responded to the doctor's call. We sat in front of him waiting for the verdict. I wonder what Theo will do to me once he learns that I have been taking pills while he has faithfully been trying to get me pregnant.

"What is the problem? Why are we not conceiving?" He asked.

"Everything looks good for both of you." He answered, particularly looking at me. My heart will explode out of my chest. "As we discussed earlier, it will take a moment for Mrs Sinclair to get pregnant after prolonged contraceptive use. It would also help for both you to adjust your lifestyles. You may need to cut down on drinking and smoking Monsieur Sinclair."

"I don't smoke as much anymore."

"Ten cigarettes this week." I answered.

I can feel his sharp side glance. "Exactly. I don't smoke as much anymore."

"The point is to progress to less." The doctor intervened. A glass of vodka and a cigarette have become his dessert every other night. He chews months after and he tries to conceal the smell but when he sleeps next to me, I pick up on it. "Give it three months and we will check on the progress."

Theo got up and left without saying anything. He slammed the door shut behind him. The doctor and I made strong eye contact.

"I don't know what is happening in your marriage Mrs Sinclair but you are playing a dangerous game. If you do not want children with the man, tell him. Don't take contraceptives and fool him. I kept your secret. The next doctor may not."

"Thank you." I got up and walked out too. Theo is gone. The only ones here are the two female bodyguards. "Where did he go?"

"He left Mrs Sinclair." One of them answered. "Since we didn't bring along your car, you will ride with us. Where should we take you?"

I have been thinking about Nickolas. He hasn't spoken to me since I left him in Portugal. He must be really pissed. "The construction site."

They looked at each other. The quiet one cleared her throat. "Mrs Sinclair, it's none of our business what you do with your life. However, Paris almost got us fired. We need our jobs. We can't keep lying for you."

"I understand that you are taking risks. I will compensate you generously for your troubles."

"I'll bring the car around." She left and the other accompanied me out of the hospital.

As we waited for the car, my phone started to ring. It's an unknown number. "Hello?"

"Time is almost up. You have five days. Have you told him?"

Helena.

"No."

"When I say five days I mean five days. I'm in Marseilles. Whether you tell him or not, he will know."