Chapter 17: No Games

Nick's POV
High tea is some place I would be er find myself. I'm not a tea drinker. Strong black coffee, absolutely. Never tea. The best part about high tea, was Kei. She showed up.

The love I feel for her oozed into the kisses we shared. Something as simple as having her palm against mine reminded me of the times we were happy together, right before our storm. It reminded me that I'm happiest with her. I made a decision.

I want Keira back and I will scheme my way to her. I'm going to ruin her marriage with a smile on my face.

I'm meeting Freya then I am going to Leen's.

She is running late. She said she wants to talk. Mom, Bea and Courtney have already left Marseilles. Only Freya is lingering around trying to talk to me. I have pretended to be busy so far but I cannot escape her anymore.

"Thank you for meeting me Nickolas." I stood up to kiss her cheek and then held out the chair for her as she sat down. "I was starting to worry that you are avoiding me."

"I was." I answered honestly.

"Why?"

"Because I know you want to reprimand me and honestly, I don't want to hear it."

She frowned at me. "Nickolas..." she laughed nervously. "...we have made so much progress and I don't like the way you sound right now."

"What do I sound like?"

"Before I answer that, tell me about high tea. What was that all about?"

"It was high tea."

"Your mother and Courtney strong armed me into hosting high tea with a week's notice! And to find out it was all a grand scheme to get Mrs Sinclair to show up... Mrs, Nickolas. She is married."

"I know she is."

"Then why are you taking steps backwards to where you life spiralled?"

"Because I love her. I can't pretend anymore."

"It's not pretence. It's a resolution to move on."

"From love? I love her Freya. I cannot keep lying to myself that I have moved on. This thing you want me to embrace is impossible."

"It's not." She placed her hand on mine. "You can let go and move on. You do that by not repeating the same mistakes."

"She's not a mistake."

"You are slipping into old habits Nickolas. The affair, wasn't it a mistake?"

"My father always says that a mistake is something that happens once. Keira and I didn't happen once. She is not a mistake. She is a decision and she is the woman I love."

"And what about her? Does she want this or you are luring her out once again?"

"She wants this."

Freya looks annoyed. The problem with a therapist that has known you from childhood is excessive familiarity. Freya knows me too well and in a way has no profession boundaries with me.

"And what does Theo want?"

"I don't give a fuck about what Theo wants.  Did he think about me when he conveniently sneaked into her life? When he knocked her up? When he married her? Was he thinking she belongs to me? No. I will obliterate all the lines Freyw, until I get my Keira back."

"You sound like the old Nickolas. He was destructive and reckless."

"A leopard cannot change it's prints. Excuse me." I got up quickly. "And Freya, no more therapy. I think I feel much better in my old skin."