Chapter 55: Tom

Nick's POV
"Bianchi."

Bianchi is Mancini's consigliere. He listens to Bianchi and he trusts him too. Mancini doesn't trust many. On his list, it's only Bianchi and Russo.

"Balotelli, thank you for seeing me with such short notice."

I like Bianchi.

"I don't have a choice. When the mistress calls..." He chuckled. "Have a seat. What is this about?"

I'm back in New York and back to work. Kei got out of hospital and Katya agreed to be around. I have hired security from the St Patrick Group. I hope it will deter anyone with bad intentions.

"Juliana Buscemi."

The dreaded subject. I have been ignoring her. She's calling a lot. It's suffocating. Why can't she get the memo?

"Tell Mancini it's not happening."

"Nicko, you should know he is not playing games. I know you can be stubborn but sometimes, you need to play along and wait for an opportunity to strike."

"What are you saying?" My phone is vibrating. It's Katya. "Hold that thought. Yeah? Is she okay?"

"Kei is fine. She's with the twins. I have just finished making my rounds and I have noticed heavy Italian presence on this street. You are really going out, aren't you?"

"Are you sure?"

"About what? Your brethren?"

"Yeah."

"Dead sure."

"It's not me."

"Who is it then?"

I glanced at Bianchi. "Mancini."

Katya and Kei are close. I know Kei opens up to her. I know about Mancini making moves on Kei. What I don't know is Kei's feelings. She isn't selling herself out. It's hard to tell that there's someone else. But what if that's the reason she wants our love to due? What if she has chosen Mancini? Katya would know.

"Why would Mancini be protecting Kei?"

She doesn't know. Kei is really playing this one close to her chest. This version of Kei after Theo is secretive. What will she be should this thing with Mancini push through?

"Ask her about a guy called Tom and Fiji. When she tells you, tell me. Please tell me what she says about him."

"I'm not getting in the middle of your drama."

"Katya, listen to me. For her sake, you have to ask about Tom and Fiji. I'm sure you'll understand why I'm desperate to know, after she comes clean. Keep me posted. Ciao."

I hanged up.

"As I was saying, impulsiveness on your part would be stupid."

"And sudden compliance suspicious. So tell me Bianchi, if you were in my shoes, how would you play this out?"

Keira's POV
"You are never leaving again, right?" Marcelle asked me.

"What do you mean?" I stroked the straight dark strands of hair on his head. Will he ever stop looking like Nick?

"I was scared you weren't coming back."

I cuddled him closer to me. I'm really savouring these moments because soon, he will grow up and I won't be able to hold him like this anymore.

Marcella is fast asleep after she talked all afternoon. Maddie is watching TV. I'm surprised she is here. She is really being nice to me and I'm struggling to accept it.