[35] taken pt.1

TAKEN PT.1
———

LOUIS, MAGGIE AND CAROL STOOD NEXT TO THE RV, that's when they heard the blaring alarm be set off from inside the outpost. They were standing near the fence, watching as red lights flashed around it. It was still dark, and they couldn't tell what was happening. It was infuriating to stand there and not do anything while their friends and family were inside, they could even hear the sound of gunfire.

"They're in trouble, you two stay here." Carol orders them.

"I'm coming with you." Maggie states as she goes to follow after Carol, before Carol can say anything Louis grabs Maggie's wrist gently. Stopping her in her tracks, she looked back at him confused, "Louis, they need our help."

"I made a promise to Glenn. You should stay here." Louis told her, knowing that it wouldn't be what she wanted to hear.

Maggie tilts her head, "I have to."

"No you don't." Carol tells her, and Maggie turns away from Louis, who let go of her wrist and let her look at Carol.

As those two went back and forth on whether or not Maggie should go in, Louis could see how much Maggie needed to go in there. It killed her to stand here knowing that Glenn was in there, that Milo was in there. Louis could relate, a lot of people he cared about were inside that building fighting for their lives.

Even he wanted to charge in there, even if he didn't agree with it, he knew that he'd do anything for his loved ones.

So, if Maggie is gonna go in there, it's best if she doesn't go in alone. That's when Louis spoke up, catching their attention, "I won't leave her side there. I won't let anything happen to her."

Carol looked at him, up and down as if she was judging him. She can tell he wants to help, that he means well but also she can't trust him with someone so important to her, "Sorry, but I'm not leaving her life in the hands of a kid."

"Carol." Maggie calls her name in a disappointed tone, offended for Louis, "He isn't a kid."

Louis told himself not to take offence to him, he understood Carol's side. She's known Maggie longer and Louis isn't as skilled as either of them. He isn't a useless fighter, but he just hasn't fought the same way as them.

"Yes he is. That is why you are both staying here." Carol told them, not leaving room for any more argument. But, Maggie still tried.

During another one of Carol and Maggie disagreements, Louis's focus went past Maggie and towards the darkness of the trees. That's where he saw movement, at first his mind thought of a walker, that the sound of gunfire had drawn it here, but then when he saw the tip of a gun pointed at Maggie. He wished it had been a walker.

Surprisingly, Louis acts quick, pulling out his own gun from his waistband and raising it with one hand as he uses the other to push Maggie out of the way. When Louis pulls the trigger, he watches as the man winces out in pain falling to the ground. His hand gripping his shoulder as blood started to gush out of it, a number of curses left his mouth as he leaned against a tree.

Louis's adrenaline was pumping, so much that he didn't give himself time to process the fact that he had just shot a human being for the first time. He was focused on getting Carol and Maggie out of here, so he turns to Maggie placing a hand on her back and pushing her towards the RV.