3

It's been a long time since Wei Wuxian stepped foot in the tranquility that is known as Cloud Recesses. He was worried that his presence here would only disturb the disciples while they were learning and training. Seeing that he knew Lotus Pier was never going to be called his home, even when he lived there, he just felt that he wouldn't ever have a home. He wanted so badly to call this place a home as Lan Wangji had promised, but Wei Wuxian knows that he was never one to be in one place for too long. He fears being in the way, burdening them with his life, and causing the sect to lose face as he was always told he would.

He had so many secrets hidden deep inside him that Lan Qiren wanted to know. He will know them all once he runs Empathy. Lan Wangji doesn't know every single thing that Wei Wuxian has been through. He wouldn't put those types of thoughts inside the young Jade's head. Now he was asked to put those images in Lan Qiren's head. Lan Qiren has always been a wild card. Just like Madam Yu, no matter how Madam Yu or Lan Qiren, scolded or punished him, he couldn't hate them.

Wei Wuxian had a way to understand how they must be feeling about his presence. He respected them as elders, and he always wanted to gain their respect and trust. He wasn't able to do that with Madam Yu but he had a chance with Lan Qiren and that still frightened him. Wei Wuxian was now standing just outside the gates of Cloud Recesses and he couldn't get himself to walk inside. He let go of Lan Wangji's hand and leaned against a tree nearby. He bent over slightly and rested his hands on his legs. His breathing was shallow and his entire body was shaking. He was scared.

"Wei Ying, are you alright?" Lan Wangji asked.

Wuxian shook his head, "I am trying to be, but I am scared."

Lan Wangji knows the only thing that Wei Wuxian has ever been afraid of and that was dogs. Hearing that Wei Wuxian was now scared just to enter a gate, had him worried. Lan Wangji wanted to know why Wei Wuxian was so afraid.

"Why are you afraid?" Wangji asked.

"I know you said your Shufu might give me a couple days before running Empathy, but I am still afraid to even do that," Wuxian told him, "even before I gave away my Golden Core, I was a mess. I never let anyone know what I was really going through because I felt like it was normal and I was supposed to be treated so differently because I was just the son of a servant. So I was treated as a servant too. I do not know what your Shufu will say. I just don't want to keep being judged over things that are out of my control."

Lan Wangji was a bit worried. He wanted to know everything about his future partner but he knows it's going to take time, "I know Shufu is asking a lot. I will wait patiently for you to tell me whatever you wish to tell me. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I will never judge you. It is forbidden in my family anyway."

"Your Shufu has been judging me since the day I came here for lectures. He just sees me as a carbon copy of my mother but as a male," Wuxian said.

"Shufu promised that he will not judge you, and he wants to try to make this work. Especially for my sake. I told him that I would leave the sect if you could not be here," Lan Wangji explained.

"You what?"

"Mnn, I meant it too," Wangji replied.

Wuxian let out a sigh, "I still don't know if I can face him yet but we cannot stand here all day."

"I will be with you," Wangji said, taking his hand.

Wuxian nodded and finally managed to walk inside. Lan Wangji didn't rush to meet with Lan Qiren and his brother. The two would be waiting in the Yashi (The Elegance Room) for them. Wangji took his time to give Wuxian some time to recollect himself. Once they reached the Yashi, they stopped just outside the door to give Wuxian a moment. Wangji looked at him and Wuxian nodded in response to let him know that he was okay.

"Shufu, Xiongzhang, I have returned," Wangji said as he entered.

"Welcome home Wangji," Lan Xichen said calmly, then looked at the man beside him. Lan Xichen could see anxiety swirling around in the youth's eyes, "Hello again Wei Gongzi."

"Hello, Zewu Jun, Grandmaster Lan," Wuxian greeted calmly.

Lan Qiren just nodded in acknowledgement. Wangji spoke, "Shufu, Wei Ying agreed to do Empathy but asked to give him a couple days as it is a big ask of him."

"I will be respectful of his decision to wait a couple days. It would give me time to set up everything in the Mingshi (Underworld Room)," Lan Qiren said.

"Thank you, and I promise you I will try to be respectful of your rules," Wuxian said calmly.

Lan Xichen nodded, "how was your trip back?"

"No trouble," Wangji replied.

"That is good to hear, and how about you, Wei Gongzi? How was your travels?" Lan Xichen asked.

"I have been traveling here and there. Spent some time in Lanling to be with Jin Ling. He was very curious to know more about his parents. I was happy to share what I know...though my knowledge in Jin Zixuan isn't very good compared to my Shijie," Wuxian explained.

"He didn't stab you this time?" Lan Xichen asked in a teasing tone.

Wuxian looked at the other Twin Jade and couldn't help but laugh a bit, "Lan Zhan asked me that same question."

"I am just making sure," Lan Xichen asked.

"He did not stab me this time," Wuxian told him.

"Shufu, Xiongzhang, will you allow Wei Ying to stay in the Jingshi?" Wangji asked.

"Normally we would keep partners apart until after they wed," Lan Qiren said, "but I will allow it."

"The Jingshi?" Wuxian asked.

"My residence," Wangji said.

"Ugh, you are trusting me under the same roof as you?" Wuxian asked.

"It would not be the first time we shared a room," Wangji pointed out, "and I'm sure I will be fine. The question you should be asking is, will you be able to trust me under the same roof as you?"

Wei Wuxian's mouth dropped open and looked at the two elders, "is he okay?" Wuxian asked, "when did he become more shameless than me?"

"Don't ask me, he probably learned it all from you," Lan Qiren scoffed.

"Good Luck," Lan Xichen said. Wangji then pulled Wuxian out of the Yashi and walked him to the Jingshi.