39

It was the next day and the final test. There were three spots open of the six disciples that Wuxian and Wangji would have of their own. The current three were Sizhui, Jingyi, and Biyu. Everyone was at the training grounds, Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren were there to help them judge and oversee everything. Today was actually a bit more special because Wen Ning got permission to be present for the final test.

"So as you all know, I am considered the Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation. I cultivate both Yin and Yang energy. Not everyone is lucky to have this ability but with me having such abilities, it will help us out with today's final testing," Wuxian explained, "as you can see, there are various types of paper effigies in different forms, like fierce corpses, there is a measuring snake as one, and there are a couple other creatures you can spot. I will be animating them for the final test. It will be your job to effectively handle them on how to deal with such spirits if you cross them in real life. When Ning here is the final test, as he is undefeated and you cannot kill him, it will be your job to work together on subduing him. Sizhui, Jingyi, and Biyu, though are already apart of the group, you will also join in as being examples of leadership and guidance. It will be your job to help correct anything you see out of place."

"Yes Master Wei," the disciples said.

Wuxian smiled and snapped his fingers. The paper effigies came to life and the disciples were clear to start. Wangji and Wuxian were already looking at certain people and kept doing so throughout the test. There was actually one such disciple that the two worried about as he was the youngest at age fourteen. His name was Lan Chuanli. He may be the youngest and the smallest but he was a good fighter and he was quick on his feet.

"Lan Chuanli," Wuxian muttered to the others next to him and looked at Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen, "he looks like he as a lot of potential. He only just got his sword at age twelve and his skills are very good."

"His father is actually one of our strongest fighters in terms of soldiers. He was also in command on the battlefield so he taught his son well. It shows to," Lan Qiren explained, "I take it he has your attention."

"He does," Wuxian said, "Lan Zhan, anyone standing out to you?"

"Lan Rong, he is not actually from the main branch but a smaller branch within Gusu, correct?" Wangji asked for confirmation.

"That his correct," Lan Xichen said, "I felt like we need a redemption disciple after Su She. He gave us a bad reputation and Lan Rong has a lot on his plate but he is good with his studied."

Wangji nodded, "Baihu stood out to me a little bit too."

"Chuanli, Rong, and Baihu, those three are to be looked at more thoroughly," Wuxian said and focused back on the students, "they did well with the paper effigies but Wen Ning will be the one that I want to see them work with. I want to see if they were paying attention in their studies about subduing a fierce corpse, no matter how strong."

"You are definitely giving these disciples a challenge," Lan Qiren said, "perhaps we can have Wen Ning move into one of the more secluded places within Cloud Recesses instead of outside the sect. He could probably help you out with your teachings."

"You seem to have gotten comfortable with the idea of me using demonic energy," Wuxian said.

"I guess we were all just stuck with what we thought we knew about the energy. You changed that," Lan Qiren said, "many may not be able to do what you do but you use it responsibly."

Wuxian nodded, "I will try to be minimal with it though. It does help with training disciples as it gives them firsthand experience with encountering the energy."

"I'm sure you and Wangji have it all figured out," Lan Qiren said.

Wuxian was about to comment when he noticed Wen Ning getting agitated from using too much energy. He saw the disciples step further away from him and Wuxian stepped in, "Wen Qionglin!" He yelled.

When Ning came back to his senses within seconds, "Sorry," he said.

"It's alright," Wuxian said, "you may have a bit too much energy in you. How are you feeling?"

"Better," Wen Ning said, "the disciples though, they fight well."

Wuxian smiled and turned to the disciples, "why don't you all go stand in line while we talk?" Wuxian told them and had Wen Ning come with him back to the others.

"So, how you decided on your disciples then?" Xichen asked.

Wuxian and Wangji glanced at each other and nodded. It was a nonvocal way of them saying they have them picked out. Wuxian and Wangji turned to the disciples, "we want you all to know that you all did a wonderful job with these tests that you were put through. Even if you do not get a spot, just know there is still potential for you all."

Sizhui, Jingyi, and Biyu stood beside Wuxian and Wangji. Wangji spoke first, "of the final three spots, Lan Baihu has been selected."

Baihu bowed to thank them and accept, before moving to stand with the other three. Wuxian spoke next, "next we have Lan Rong."

Wangji had the honor of speaking the final disciple, "the final spot goes to Lan Chuanli. You may be the youngest but you have proven yourself well these past few days."

After the selection, the rest of the disciples cleared out before the six newly appointed disciples of Wangji and Wuxian followed the two back to Wuxian's workshop. Wuxian and Wangji have actually come up with a proper name for the building as it needed one to feel more personal. The building was called Feng Shui*.

Once everyone has found their seats, Wangji and Wuxian were to meet the six face to face, "congratulations on becoming our six disciples," Wuxian said, "you all did really well today. Tomorrow your first lesson starts but we thought we'd talk for a bit and get to know each other. Is there anything you are hoping to learn from us, or have any questions?"

Lan Baihu raised his hand, "will our classes be similar to ours tests that we've been doing these past few days?" He asked.

"That and more," Wuxian said, "physical activity will probably be more planned out from me while Hanguang Jun has more of the lectures planned out. We already have a curriculum set for you all. You will learn more about it tomorrow."

"How often will we meet?" Lan Rong asked.

"Three times a week. One class period will be lectures, the next will be lab or activities, and the third will be testing or examinations." Wangji explained, "as you are our disciples, you will have more lessons with us than the other classes you've taken in the past."

After spending about another hour with the six students, they were dismissed. Wangji and Wuxian were both excited for their classes to officially start.

////////////

Feng Shui — Feng shui means "the way of wind and water." It has roots in early Taoism but is still popular today, having spread throughout China and even to Western cultures. Feng shui stems from the Taoist belief in chi, or the life force that inhabits everything. Chi is made up of yin and yang elements.