Chapter 37: Rising From Shadows

Sehki's body spun, using what little power and sanity he had left to cushion the blow with every power he could muster.

A tunnel of wind barely slowed him down. The five saw his body rocket to the ground, and a burst of energy doing nothing as he crashed into a crater. They sighed in relief, the object of their wrath was dead.

Rigal turned to Calypsa. "You really pretend like you had a thing for him just to set him up. Geez, this is why I tell my men to avoid 403s like you," laughing with his eyes closed as she sidestepped his attempt to reach her shoulder.

She didn't address him, looking back up at the sky. Satisfaction on her face flickered at the glimmer of a purple light near the rest of the Zodiac constellations before walking away with her head down.

"Let's go."

Ainsley's eyes returned to normal, deciding to call the militia while Taylor took their phone to do the smooth talking. All of them watched Cluster and the Voids approach Sehki, nodding at them.

Letting them finish the job, the five left before it began to rain and the constellation's sight of the fae became distant.

Sehki's pupils were riddled with liquid and rage, confusion and doubt, and words that spiraled, ignoring Cluster's statements about recruiting him or facing rejection with the loss of his life.

Goodbye, Shemar Thomas.

He sunk into a deep void, the well named creatures around him desperate to feed off that malice. Why was he named that?

It was only around eight years ago.

Other kids were playing around, while he was in the corner of an adoption agency, trying to figure out what name his caretakers offered him he should take.

The other children were screaming and running around, someone had let out the pet snake. The adults split up between those that were welcoming the potential parents, and the others trying to get the children to calm down. The boy with no name grew annoyed, and spotted a tray of food.

A woman in her forties walked in, spotting the teachers and other kids watching the boy feeding the snake, carrying them back into their tank, cleaning it, and adding food for them to eat.

"Is that the boy?"

"Yes."

She walked up to him, kneeling as he briefly looked at her.

"And it just got quiet in here too. If you're here to just stare at me and not come back, just go ahead already?"

"No, I'd like to take you with me? Could you wait just a few weeks?"

"If that's true, then give me a name?"

"Is that so? How about Shemar?"

"What does that mean?"

"To guard, to watch, to preserve. Something I see you do," beaming at the sight of the people that were once afraid, now hoping nothing else bad would happen.

"Shemar, huh? How long do I have to wait?"

"In a few months. These things take time, but I'd made that decision when I saw you months ago. Everyone deserves to be protected."

"Then where are my parents for that?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure they'd want the same. If they're not here, I'll do the same for you."

"What's your name Miss?"

"Shonda. I'd be grateful to have you in our family."

Sehki bawled out in rage while an entity of darkness took the place of his Cosmic Burst, slashing and ripping through the essence of the lesser Voids and Voidvoks. His mind filled with rage at the four heirs, attempting to reach for Calypsa, now an enigma disrupting his head every time he thought of her.

The beast flew up from under him, piercing through every creature, desperately reaching for someone, anyone to assist him the way Shonda did, holding his hand the day she brought him to his new home.

"This is my husband, Gerald."

"So you're this Shemar kid she's been telling me about. Sorry about the mess, she's better at cleaning up than I am," making him scream laziness until a blonde-haired boy with freckles approached him, not saying a word.

"Uh, hi?"

The boy turned open a paper. Welcome home, big brother.

"That's Flint. He doesn't talk much, but he doesn't have many friends his age. We'd like you to help us take care of him."

So that's why you asked me. A boy with no name, a boy with no voice, sensing a similar frustration between the two. He bended down.

"Flint, Shemar," grinning. "Your big brother will protect you forever."

Where did it all go wrong, as the dark figure used the same force that blasted Xia out of the room to punch more away.

"Shonda," recalling seeing her at the hospital telling him and Flint to keep living, striking more away.

Where, seeing Gerald's fist cracking the table, counting the number of bills, and slapping him away, disintegrating the essence of the Voids with a claw swing shredding through more.

Why, remembering Flint shuddering, telling him that his father was scary and wanting to leave. Voids charged at Sehki's body, but the shadow dived back at its host, crushing them inside their arms.

Sehki's tears blinded him to the remaining Voids that were left, including some animalistic Constains, and the one in regal clothing about to lunge at him.

A portal opened up in front of him, releasing a man in gray skin, eyes shut dead, and a drab jacket, cracking his neck across the white hair. He slammed them away with a club, growling at the sight of a Ursa Constain.

"Ur~sa!" Chains across the feet tied the bear shaped monster as the flames from the hound's mouth incinerated them to pieces. He summoned a staff at more attempting to attack him, channeling the power of the bear to swing constructs and slammed down at him.

Cluster turned to the figure responsible. "Who are you?"

"A guiding star to our savior. You're the one manipulating the heirs, aren't you?"

Cluster flew towards Sehki's ally, firing vectors of light while the figure coated themselves in different animalistic flaming spheres, shielding themselves from a barrier.

"Prince Sehki, run!"

Confused, Sehki's body eliminated the other Voids. The shadow around him took control of his body, following their allies instructions and racing to their closest freedom.