Chapter 27: Fighting Rejection

Sehki shuddered, wondering what she was going to do. Oh yeah, the other professors won't be as receptive. Still, it's worth a try.

He knocked on the doors of the Air Elemental Magic Power professor: Hayato Tenma. The swift talking, speed move drinker bolted around the office as he opened the door, barely giving the young heir time to see his strong legs, ponytail, and wavy pompadour.

"Sorry, all the textbooks are being used and there's an unspoken policy where students from Umbra would need a scholarship from the acting monarchs," creating dove shaped wings and blowing him out of the room.

Annoyed, he headed to the Earth Elemental head professor to try and talk to her: a woman with steel-gray hair, a prosthetic leg and brown-white layers, who also refused, but had this to say.

"Your parents and lineage were once reveried, and before their crimes were exposed, they would do anything to accomplish their goals. Terra does not wait for change, it makes it. Do so, and I'll consider it," weaving her hands as the ground from below bent him out.

Did the heir's parents tell them not to sabotage me?

On his way to class, Principal Lumin approached him, handing him a vessel of Starlight.

"As part of your royal stipend, it took some time to get your new account approved, but this is yours for now. Keep doing your best throughout the year young Lord and use it as you see fit."

He stored it in his bag, nodding. "I'll be careful."

In Professor Tidal's class, his Fixed skills started growing enough to shoot a long range fireball and blast a close range stream that only reached a few feet ahead. His Cardinal skills were showing a bit of an improvement, at least to the point he could make small shapes and reflect his whip.

Mutable...based on the description, he attempted to emulate it using his Cosmic Bursts. Each time he ended up a melting mess of sweat generating sweat only a foot away from his body and needing hours to fight off the headache.

Worse, Calypsa hadn't returned to handle Vena and Vital's tag team harassment. He'd come up with a plan where every time it'd look like the two would target him, Calypsa would either look like she had attacked him first, or she would warn him and improve his Fixed arts by moving them away at the last minute.

Maybe I am relying on her too much, waiting until after class to ask his professor to teach him Water Arts when everyone else was gone.

"I'd love to but you'd need to show more proficiency at gaining the basics with fire."

Looks like I have no choice, telling him about his potential for all four.

"It's not out of the blue-but if your StellArts hasn't developed yet. Okay, let's keep improving at your skills, and if your capacity can't go further, we can meet up during office hours."

"Wait, before I go. Is it true that the other professors were told to not tutor me?"

Tidal's voice grew soft. "A lot of people felt hurt and betrayed around that time. It may not be an official rule, but there's a reason most students don't confirm they were from Umbra. I don't know how much of what was told to the world is true, but my role is still to be an educator. I could never show my face to them in the afterlife if I didn't."

Sehki took a deep breath. "I wish I could remember what happened, but at this point, stopping the Voids or getting the power to fend for myself or leaving might be my own option."

Tidal patted his head. "The heart of a fae in this world started with the first heroes creating the means for others to survive. I'm sure things will work out."

At gym, the class waited for Tychonis to show up, who arrived yawning, but relieved. Today was the day he ordered everyone to wear gym uniforms: male shorts and female bloomers. His gaze towards the latter lifted his spirits up.

"Sorry, had a bit of a rough morning. Men, how about you go first? Ladies, you can wait over here with me near my office," only giving the men instructions to just do simple laps. He lowered his hands around Vena's waist. "If any of you would like to come and chat for a bit, now's the time."

Xia closed her eyes and waited for the guys to guy while Sehki watched Vena's twitch slowly soothe into ease, just like he did earlier as she turned around, about to come to his office with him. However, a loud stretch of noise compelled him to investigate.

After a large steam infected the room inside, Coach came out in much better spirits than usual.

"Alright, never mind ladies, anyone who wants to get in, get started! Alright, groups of two, practice swimming together, use your Mutable skills to form bubbles for those of you who can't swim! Who can't, raise their hands!"

Sehki rose first. While his classmates went to use the other lanes, Coach jumped in with him into the water before he could put on his goggles. He flailed, struggling to breathe until he noticed a bubble around himself.

"Try making one yourself," Coach said, nicer to him than usual.

He spread fire from his arms, trying to mold it into a sphere, pushing it to his face as Coach moved the one away from him out. He taught him how to do the breaststroke, combining it with his powers to waste less muscle energy going forward.

When Sehki's hands started flailing on the way back, Coach pulled out a familiar staff, flipping the water around him to move it up right.

"Wait, how do you have that?"

He snickered before his body shapeshifted into Calypsa, who snickered. "Chameleon."

"What the-you-how-why," tongue twisted. "Where's the real Coach?'

"He's napping. Exposed him to enough heat to make him pass. Now he can keep his hands to himself."

He couldn't help but laugh as they swam back up.