Chapter 69: Much Needed Rest

Bodin and Candy took some time to process that.

"Bodin, just keep it a secret for now, and get those losers away. As thanks for your assistance with my first general, you can come with the four of us to see the movie."

"Really, thank you!"

"I'm not doing it for you," Sehki claimed. "I just want to troll you two and I owe Lorena one. Hurry up."

He gulped and nodded, drawing up birds to pick Sven and crew away, waving goodbye.

Sehki nodded, while Candy nodded. "Looks like I can make allies outside of the circle I'm building."

Lorena glanced an eyebrow. "Two women led by a guy. Sure you're not building a harem," she teased.

"I am not stealing Candy's man. Also, didn't you just leave Taylor's harem?"

She sucked her teeth. "Pretending to like him wasn't easy ya know."

"Did he make you do something sexual you faked enjoying?"

She raised a finger. "Fair enough. I'm starting to hate when you're right."

"Relax, that's not what we do here. Now ladies, let's go to our bedroom!"

The conditions she found they were living in made her forget to question his word choice

"Why is the kitchen, bedroom, shower, and sofa the only clean things possible?"

"Someone had been cleaning up before I got here," pointing to the holes in the stairs and the ones separating them from the rest of the hallway. "Looks like the repair crew abandoned us."

She immediately began taking pictures, writing a report of poor conditioning and structuring. Though Candy was concerned given how it was abandoned, Lorena showed her there was an official registry to live here: no one told Sehki or sent it within the school.

"They really thought I was dead."

"And this company used it as a cheap excuse to not finish the job," finishing her email. "Don't worry, before afternoon, they'll be here to fix this place up. If not, they get posted to see how bad they are at their job. I'll ask Yessenia to get the crew's contacts on a better interior design just in case."

That intensity unnerved them both. "Sorry, but you two don't deserve to live like this. Not even a polarizing prince."

"Thanks," inviting her in, who didn't expect the bed to be large enough to fit them all. Soon, she was in the middle while Candy and him were on opposite ends, all in pajamas and clothes off. "Outside of almost dying, today was...actually pretty fun. And you're finally not in that ridiculous outfit."

"Must every woman I know be a critic? What's in that briefcase anyway?"

"Oh that? A replica of the patent for my dad's company of lawyers and private investigators. The real one's with mom hidden. I just hope I can make her proud."

"You will. Think you could make an argument for my family's innocence?"

"We still need to find out if someone had evidence to warrant their execution or claims of housing Voids. It's possible someone used Starlight to bring them in, but Taylor said even memory magic couldn't heal the trauma from that night. Still, if the heirs were told to kill you, it could be considered treason without fair judgment. You aren't responsible for their crimes."

"True. Maybe I should come back after all," giving Lorena the details.

"I didn't know. I hope your brother's alive. I apologize for my inaction to your bullying."

"It's not your fault. The heirs only get challenged by their parents. That's why I want to expose their darkness with my own. If I don't come back, I want the group I form to be strong enough to keep them focused on stopping the Voids."

"Most guys don't dump this much on two girls they've met for only a couple of months."

"It's stressful, okay!" He sighed, grinning. "But it's nice to have friends to talk to for a change. Haven't felt this way since Calypsa and Val."

As he looked through his old phone to see the image of Valencia and Flint, she snatched it, analyzing quickly. "Your baby brother. Mostly like adopted. Adorable. A fellow redhead. Friend...or more?" She turned to Candy. "Was that his initial response to me?"

"Candy, don't you dare answer that," hiding his embarrassment under the covers. "She's my best friend," watching them lean closer for more details. "She got a boyfriend before I realized my feelings were stronger."

"Rejected?"

"Geez, your taste in women all ends in disaster, doesn't it?"

"Shut it," sliding completely under the covers. "I'm breaking up with you!"

"One date doesn't automatically make us a couple. But I can act the part, I'm still your prime queen candidate. Should help us pry into your ex's psyche. Don't find it odd?"

"Calypsa? She didn't show up or let me know about Ainsley or Taylor's deal at all. Maybe I'm not the only one she's messing with."

"We'll find out soon enough. So," leaning towards him with Candy by her side, turning him over and pulling him back up. "How far did you two go?"

Pouting and flushing, he looked away. "The night the Corvus Constain attacked, I kissed her," gaining their gasps. "Only on the cheek," spotting them eager for more details. "Will you go to bed if I explain?" They nodded. "We start training tomorrow then," sighing.

Meanwhile, Rigal and Xia had to meet their parents in the spiritual plane.

"My son was attacked and turned into a Void, and neither of you were there?"

"He didn't show up to our podcast."

" I felt something was wrong, but he never told us where he went.