5|what is wrong with you

|Connor Evans|

I walked up to the girl at her locker. Her long auburn-brown hair cascaded down as she rummaged through her fairly dirty and unorganized locker. Someone told me this girls locker number was 306. And 306 was the one she was at. I sighed and walked up to her. "Are you Tori?" I asked her. She jumped as if I scared her and I snickered.

"It's not funny. You scared me." She spoke quietly.

"Okay whatever. Answer my question." I demanded.

"Y-yeah I'm Tori." She said quietly again.

I narrowed my eyes at her before speaking. "Okay so. I was told that I have to tutor you, which I really don't wanna do, but I was told you have dyslexia or some shit and you can't graduate unless I tutor you so, just, give me your address because I have to come to your house to tutor you after school." I said, getting right to the point.

"O-okay." She stuttered quietly.

I frowned. "What is wrong with you?" I asked in an annoyed tone. Every time she says something, she's either stuttering or quiet. No wonder I don't know her. She never talks.

"Oh. Sorry. I just-here's the address." She handed me a piece of paper which she wrote the address on. I gave her a weird look and shoved the paper in my pocket.

"...thanks. I guess I'll see you today after class..." I said.

"Yeah." She closed her locker and walked off. I shrugged.

Talking to her was really awkward. Most of the girls I talk to are loud and outgoing, not quiet and shy. I already know tutoring her is gonna be harder than I ever thought was possible. At least I don't have to waste my weekends on her. Oh yeah...but I'm still grounded. When did my life become this big hell hole! I basically have no time for freedom anymore! Why, I might as well give somebody a rock, and have them throw the rock upside my head. I'd rather have that than to tutor this girl. Just why? Why? Why did I have to get stuck in this situation?

|Tori Anderson|

"So how's life?" Hailey asked me during lunch.

"Just peachy." I sarcastically stated, but in reality, my life is going pretty horrible. This afternoon, the last boy I would wanna be stuck with, is coming over to tutor me. I would tell Hailey, but she has a big mouth, and she would tell everybody in the school and I don't want it getting around.

I turned my head and looked at the table in the far corner of the cafeteria. Connor Evans sat there with five other people. I watched as he and his friends laughed at something. My intense stare soon turned into a grimace of disgust. I rolled my eyes and turned toward Hailey again. "Don't you think that Connor boy is so cute." Hailey said.

"No." I deadpanned.

"Why? His piercing dark brown eyes are so full of mischief. His black hair is like...I don't even know. But he is cute."

I shook my head. "Can we not talk about him." I said, wanting to finally get this Connor boy off of my mind. I'm sick of him and I already have to deal with him for an hour after school.

"Whatever." Hailey took a bite out of her cheeseburger and we ate the rest of our lunch in silence.

::::::::::

Ding Dong. Oh no. The noise of the doorbell filled the house and I instantly wanted to lock myself in my closet and hide from the world. "Tori honey! Your tutor is here!" My mom yelled from downstairs.

I groaned in frustration as I got off of my bed and headed downstairs. I opened the front door and there Connor was standing. My stomach churned nervously. "Uh you can come in." Connor then stepped in the house and looked around.

"Your house is huge." He said, looking around in amusement.

"Well yeah it's a foster home..." I then instantly cursed myself for telling him that. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I told myself.

"Oh." He mumbled

I rolled my eyes. I then saw Gabriel and Quinn storm downstairs. "What's your name?" Gabriel asked Connor.

"Go upstairs, you two!" I told them.

"No." Quinn said and I rolled my eyes. They then turned their attention back to Connor. "What's your name?"

"Connor." He said.

"Okay Connor. You wanna see a picture?" Gabriel said.

My eyes widened. "Show him that picture and I will kill you both!" I threatened.

Quinn took out her phone and showed Connor the embarrassing picture of me in my footies. My life is over. Why did mom get Quinn a phone anyway? She's freaking six years old. Why in the hell does a six year old need a phone? Connor then burst out in a fit of laughter. "That's you?" He asked.

"Yes it's me. My mom got me those for Christmas and I didn't wanna make her feel bad so I wear them sometimes." I explained. I turned towards Gabriel and Quinn. "You two are dead." They both giggled and ran up the stairs. I rolled my eyes.

"Uh, anyways. Can we just get started. The sooner we start, the sooner I can get out." He said.

I stared at him for a while before shrugging my shoulders. There was no reason to feel offended because I felt the exact same way. "You can just sit on the couch." Connor walked over to the couch and sat down. I sat down next to him.

He took the math book that was on the table and opened it to page 106. "Okay. I guess we'll start with the quadratic formula." He said.

"Okay."

"Uh. Try to read the first question." He pointed to question one and I took the book and sighed before reading the question.

"Graph the quadratic equations using the..." Right then, the words in my mind jumbled up.

"Keep going." He said.

"I can't."

"Yes you can."

"No I can't." I debated.

Connor sighed. "Just break up the sentence. Read the first half and then when the words jumble up, stop and read the next part." He said.

I frowned. "Graph the quadratic equations using the...tables of...values." I finished the sentence.

"Okay so do the problems." He said. I sighed and tried the problems on the page.

::::::::::

The tutoring seemed like it went by pretty slow...and it's still not over. Connor and I have done five pages out of the book and I guess we're making progress. It's good for the first day. But it was still hard.

Now Connor and I are on the sixth page...well I'm on the sixth page. Connor's just sitting here texting somebody on his phone. I turned my head towards Connor, about to ask him for help on this page, but for some reason, another question blurted out. "Why'd you break into the house the other night?" I asked him.

Connor scowled and turned to me. "I didn't tell you? Oh, just have been none of your business then." He snapped.

I grimaced at his response. "Are you always this rude?"

"Is this your way of trying to create small talk?" He asked, his voice clear of annoyance. But I didn't care.

"No I just- never mind." The rest of the tutoring was silent and awkward. Actually, the whole tutoring time was awkward. When it was time for Connor to leave, he just got up and left as if he was eager to get out, well I wanted him to get out as much as he wanted to.

I'm still a little mixed about him tutoring me. He just comes to me as an arrogant jerk. He hangs with the people who are nothing but bad news and I don't want someone like that around me. Well he's only tutoring me.

After he left, I ate dinner which was the avocado and spinach salad mom was talking about yesterday, which actually tasted pretty good. And afterwards, I went straight to bed. Today was a long day, and I have another long one ahead of me.

_