10|I cant just leave her

|Connor Evans|

"My sister...she's got cancer." Tori said, looking back down.

I was definitely not expecting that. Tori's sister having cancer, that's a hard thing to deal with. And I know what it feels to loose someone."That's tough I'm sorry..." I said. "Everything will be fine though-"

"No!" She cut me off. "Y-you don't know that. She's my little sister, Connor. What if she doesn't make it. I've already lost both of my parents. I don't want to loose anyone else. You have no idea what it's like to loose someone." She said as tears fell down her face. But I do, I said in my mind. There was no way I was saying that out loud. But Tori...she looked like she needed some comfort so... I took a deep sigh, why am I about to do this, and hugged Tori. She hesitantly lifted her hands and wrapped her arms around my waist and accepted my hug.

"I guess today's 'hug-a-smart-ass-day' too, huh?" She said.

I sighed. "Nah." I said. I then pulled away from her grip. "Okay." I said as we separated ourselves from each other. I looked at Tori said she stared at the ceiling, her eyes bloodshot red from the crying. Man, I was gonna go to that frat party but...I can't just leave her like this. Geez why am I being so nice?

Tori wiped the remainder of her tears and faced me. "So uh, you said you had a frat party to go to. You can just go now. Sorry for all that." She said.

"No uh, it's okay, um. Looks like I got the date wrong. The party's tomorrow." I lied.

"Oh, okay." I nodded and pulled out my phone.

Zach: Connor, bro where are you? You said you were gonna be at the frat party.

Jake: this party is awesome and you're not here. I'm starting to think you're bailing on us.

I sighed, cut my phone off and put it in my jacket pocket. Tori and I just sat there in silence for a while before she turned towards me. "What are those cuts and bruises on your arm?" She gave me a weak smile. I slightly ginned and shook my head, gesturing that I wasn't telling her. Tori shrugged. "Worth a shot."

::::::::::

The next day at school was the same as always, except my friends were acting a little weird. They're probably still mad because I didn't come to the party and because I've been blowing them off. It's not my fault I was forced to tutor Tori every week for five days, along with me being grounded...well being grounded is my fault, but- you get the point.

When the final bell of the day rung, everyone fled the classroom, even the teacher. I grabbed my book bag and walked out of the classroom. I walked to the parking lot and stopped next to my car. I haven't done this in a while, I thought as I sighed and pulled the pack of cigarettes and a lighter out of my jacket pocket. I was about to light the cigarette when I felt tapping on my shoulders. I jumped back and quickly shoved the pack of cigarettes and the lighter back in my pocket.

I looked at Tori who was looking at me oddly. "Oh hey... Uh, are you alright? You know, from yesterday." I asked, just to make sure.

"Um yeah, uh what-what were you just doing?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing."

"Nothing?" She reassured

"Nothing." I confirmed.

"Okay. Anyways. I came over to ask can you check this. It's homework for math that we have to turn in tomorrow and I wanted to make sure I did them right before I turn it in." She said with a sheet of paper in her hand.

"Why don't you just give it to me during tutoring this afternoon?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No tutoring this afternoon. I have to visit my sister..." I looked at Tori as her face dropped. She handed me the paper and I looked over it, looking at every question.

"They're...they're all right." I said.

"Really." Tori's face then turned into a smile as she snatched the paper from my hands. "Thanks. I gotta go. See you." She smiled and turned around. I walked her as she walked off and didn't take my eyes off until she was out of sight. I blinked a few times before looking at the cigarette pack. I put it back in my pocket and get in my car. I drove home and when I got there, I did the same thing as every other time. Went to my room, closed my door, and plopped on my bed.

_

Vote, comment, keep reading love ya!